Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Buying new torquearm.Globalwest/Unbalanced Engineering ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Buying new torquearm.Globalwest/Unbalanced Engineering ???

I am getting ready to buy a a new torque arm, and I know that transmission mounted torque arms brake better, handle a little better and make less noise than the subframe mounted t-arms, and they hook a little better right?

But how do the Globalwest traklink and Unbalanced Engineering compare with them? They are suppose to be have best of both worlds, good on traction and better on the rear wheelhop while under braking.

Torque arm links:

Globalwest:http://www.globalwest.net/1982-02_Ca...-Traclinks.htm

Unbalanced:http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/

Anyone seen these or have them? I am looking for something that gives me the best handling and helps me hook up as I am statring to turn up the boost and my suspension is not up to the task right now with only prokit, control arms and adj. panhard rod its not a 1/4 mile car or daily driver, mostly street/roll racing car.
did find my answer in search, are they worth the extra $$$?
Old 10-22-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone??
Old 10-22-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Sorry I don't have any info about your choices. Try posting in the "Road Racing" and "Drag Racing Tech" sections?

Also, have you thought about a using a UMI, or BMR trans mount with the torque arm mount relocation bracket, then use it with an adjustable factory style torque arm?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

I don't have any experience either with those items... but I think what I have seen is they might be a bit noisy and offer a harsh ride... but don't hold me to that.

Sam Strano over www.stranoparts.com I am pretty sure he has experienced these items in action and would be glad to help you out. He is a sponsor here.

A standard transmission mounted arm will offer the best of both worlds for you as well. They reduce the flex in the factory arm to help improve your handling and traction.

If you have any questions I can help with please ask. Thank you!

Ryan
Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I read, there are a few people on frrax who have the decoupled unbalanced engineering torque arm. I guess how it works is it act's like a short arm under acceleration and like a long arm under decelleration... from what I got out of it.

I actually thought about getting it too. Since my racing application requires launching on a crappy surface, getting ahead of the car next to me, and making the next few turns to cross the finish first. Though it seems like it will be a pain to install and I'd probably install it incorrectly, so I'm not sure how much it would be worth it for me to buy it.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I do have experience with all the different TA's. UE's, GW's, a Herb Adams, tunnel brace mounted, full length, etc.

I'd be happy to discuss my thoughts on them, and tell you why I have a full length adjustable on my own car (and I can run any TA I wish). But it's kind of involved and way too much to really touch on by forum or e-mail. That'll require a phone call.

The short story is you have to watch where the torque loads are being put into the body. You have to consider what a short length TA will do for the cars traction, balance and driveability, both pro and con. You have to consider why you are looking for a TA.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for their help

I had always be leaning towards a tranny mount TA, but people have told me that if you make over 600rwhp you much rather have subframe mounted ones.
Maybe been that I wont be drag racing this car the tranny should be sufficient.

But no one in this forum have used these besides Sam?

Thank you Sam Ill will call you soon to take you up on your offer to help me decide over the phone.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SELLSZ06
Thanks everyone for their help

I had always be leaning towards a tranny mount TA, but people have told me that if you make over 600rwhp you much rather have subframe mounted ones.
Maybe been that I wont be drag racing this car the tranny should be sufficient.

But no one in this forum have used these besides Sam?

Thank you Sam Ill will call you soon to take you up on your offer to help me decide over the phone.
Actually the stock torque arm is tranny mounted so almost all of them have one. Aftermarket ones come in mostly trans mounted or short length. That unbalanced engineering decoupled version is rare.

Many sponsors sell short and long aftermarket torque arms.

If I were to get one, I'd most likely get a long torque arm and get the transmission relocation mount, because the tranny mounted ones put a lot of stress on the tranny and have broken on occasion. Right now I don't see any need to spend a lot of money on my car though
Old 10-23-2008, 12:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Not many folks have the chances I have to drive so many cars, and fewer companies offer the range of parts I carry. And because I use my car to gain results, I pretty much want to use what works best for a particular need and isn't hard on other parts.

And remember a "transmission mounted TA" doesn't necessarily need to be mounted to the transmission if you use the relocation bracket....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-23-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First off, listen to Sam.

Secondly, listen to Sam.

Thirdly, the UE decoupled TA is probably overkill. It's a very good solution to a very specific problem. I've got it, but I'm not your usual car. Mine is road racing only and has some specific gremlins. I'd suggest one of the long arms.

Lastly, listen to Sam.