Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Street/Strip SS looking for brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street/Strip SS looking for brake upgrade

I have an 02 SS with a powerglide, 4.10's in moser 12bolt, 5500 stall, manual brakes and manual steering. It's pretty much track only but I do drive it on the street. I'd like to upgrade the brakes all the way around, but was wondering what people recommend besides strange and aero kits, or are they my best bet?
Old 10-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Launching!

i guess everyone here is handling oriented
Old 10-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Launching!

15" greg welds front, prostars rear
Old 10-27-2008, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Here is the extreme weight savings 5" rotor kit. I fell this will be your best option.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Old 10-27-2008, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

i have the Brembo rotors with brembo front calipers with the ebc red stuff pads and my car stops quick
Old 10-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Launching!

but do you have manual brakes?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fast93Z
i have the Brembo rotors with brembo front calipers with the ebc red stuff pads and my car stops quick
What size wheels are you running? And do you have manual brakes? No part numbers either?
This forum is alot of help

I know there are people with upgraded brakes with 15" rims. This is the brakes forum, yet everyone here is handling-only oriented. wtf.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL Try the Drag Racing section!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
LOL Try the Drag Racing section!
LOL already did. Much more helpful than any of you. thanks for the input bud.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Really, with retaining the 15" rims up front. you're limited to what you've suggested. Maybe something along the lines from Coleman racing may help (though those are almost all custom design by customer).

Biggest thing to bear in mind that if you run smaller than stock brakes and your front end weight is nearly the same as stock...you'll overheat the brakes easily. If you do run a smaller diameter brake system on the street, you may want to at least consider a slightly thicker rotor as well to retain most of the mass.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Really, with retaining the 15" rims up front. you're limited to what you've suggested. Maybe something along the lines from Coleman racing may help (though those are almost all custom design by customer).

Biggest thing to bear in mind that if you run smaller than stock brakes and your front end weight is nearly the same as stock...you'll overheat the brakes easily. If you do run a smaller diameter brake system on the street, you may want to at least consider a slightly thicker rotor as well to retain most of the mass.
true,

my front end is approximately 200 lbs lighter than stock.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the information.

Now, I did look at the Strange Engineering web catalogue, and apparently they offer a Wilwood brake kit (Dynalite Pro series brake kit) as well as several Baer Kits as well. From what the Strange website offers, it appears they're at least a "streetable" drag racing brake setup.

I did visit the wilwood website, and the only off-the-shelve configurations they offer are for Camaro vintages previous to the 4th Gen, but I believe that maybe for the rotors and the caliper brackets. They should have some sort of custom solution.

That's what I have so far. If you haven't already, I'd be tempted to give Strange, Wilwood, Baer, and even coleman a call and see what's recommended for your setup.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Thanks for the information.

Now, I did look at the Strange Engineering web catalogue, and apparently they offer a Wilwood brake kit (Dynalite Pro series brake kit) as well as several Baer Kits as well. From what the Strange website offers, it appears they're at least a "streetable" drag racing brake setup.

I did visit the wilwood website, and the only off-the-shelve configurations they offer are for Camaro vintages previous to the 4th Gen, but I believe that maybe for the rotors and the caliper brackets. They should have some sort of custom solution.

That's what I have so far. If you haven't already, I'd be tempted to give Strange, Wilwood, Baer, and even coleman a call and see what's recommended for your setup.

Yes, my best bet would be to call them. thanks