Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni Question

Although I have used and worked with Koni's on several chassis (Miata, Fox Mustang, Vintage Mustang, Chevelle, as well as aluminum "universal race") I have never looked at one for a Gen 4 F-Body.

How is it that the adjuster is obscured by the spring in these cars? I have seen the adjuster at the foot valve (bottom of shock) and thru rod with the adjuster on top of the tenon as well as a window on the rodend (uppers) but I do not recall ever seeing a Koni with the adjuster near the seal carrier (rodguide) Does anyone have a photo?

I cannot seem to wrap my mind around how this is possible.

I keep seeing that this is an issue with certain springs.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pics can be found here:
http://www.greenfries.info/Koni_shocks.htm
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_14.html
Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you.

I see it is a window like the Mustangs. I figured it would be through rod like a miata. Of course then it would be a serious pain to adjust.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

edit: doh! beaten to the punch!

here's about the best pic i could find of them online quickly....the "adjuster window" is circled in yellow. it just requires a small allen wrench inserted into a hole on the adjuster, and you can turn it only 1/4 turn at a time. depending on the springs used, and how the shock is aligned when installed, the adjuster window can be blocked, making it hard (or impossible) to adjust them while on the car.

i personally have the koni's with strano springs, and took extra care to align it properly so that i would not have this problem....i can adjust mine easily once the front wheels are removed.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

It's not Koni's fault the adjuster is how it is. GM, in their infinite wisdom didn't make the shock tower open on top where the fronts shocks could use the "****". Because Koni's adjust the piston and not the foot valve (which is good), the couldn't just slam a **** on the side ala AGX's and QA1's, etc.

Adjusting them is not that big a deal with good information/instruction which I provide all my customers, and a little patience.

As for the window and Mustang... I'm not aware of any Mustang that is setup this way. Some Mustangs are compress to adjust (specials), and all the Sports have the **** on top. Having just checked and rechecked the Koni model available for all Mustangs from 64 to now, they are all either 80 and 82 series (standard compress to adjust shocks) or 8241 and 8741 series shocks which use the ****.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
It's not Koni's fault the adjuster is how it is. GM, in their infinite wisdom didn't make the shock tower open on top where the fronts shocks could use the "****". Because Koni's adjust the piston and not the foot valve (which is good), the couldn't just slam a **** on the side ala AGX's and QA1's, etc.

Adjusting them is not that big a deal with good information/instruction which I provide all my customers, and a little patience.

As for the window and Mustang... I'm not aware of any Mustang that is setup this way. Some Mustangs are compress to adjust (specials), and all the Sports have the **** on top. Having just checked and rechecked the Koni model available for all Mustangs from 64 to now, they are all either 80 and 82 series (standard compress to adjust shocks) or 8241 and 8741 series shocks which use the ****.
The vintage race Mustang double adjustables have that window (65-70 cars)

I would also question the strength of putting the adjuster through the tenon for adjustment underhood. That would create a very thin wall in a 10mm attachment.

It makes sense the way Koni has done it.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Race Koni's have used a window like for years... couldn't figure out what Koni's you were speaking of, but it makes sense now

I agree they didn't have much choice given what GM gave to work with and the way the Koni adjuster works.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Next stupid question regarding Koni's. In another thread, there was constant reference to 4/3 and 4/4's? What does this mean?
Old 04-26-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Beat98TJ
Next stupid question regarding Koni's. In another thread, there was constant reference to 4/3 and 4/4's? What does this mean?
The "4/3" means 4th gen front/3rd gen rear shocks(internally adjustable rears). The "4/4" means 4th gen front/4th gen rear (externally adjustable rears)
Old 10-21-2008, 01:24 AM
Launching!

How do you know when the shocks are at the maximum for adjustments for both front and rear
Old 10-21-2008, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by some_punk
How do you know when the shocks are at the maximum for adjustments for both front and rear
The adjustor stops turning. If yours don't, they're in need of repair.

-Mike

Last edited by chupr0kabra; 10-21-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Beat98TJ
Basically this is the main thing to know about the 4/3 vs the 4/4. The 4/3 uses the 3rd gen rears which only have 4 settings of adjustment and need to be taken off the car to adjust. The 4/4's have the 4th gen rears which are infinitely adjustable like the fronts and are adjustable on the car. The 4/3's are what I went with becase I felt I would be able to get what I wanted out of the car with the 4 setting possibilities and I didn't feel I would be tinkering with the adjustment much after I found where I liked it. Turns out I was right.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

just a heads up, ihave Koni SA with granatelli springs, they cant be adjusted on the car. total PITA considering i didnt realize this until after i got the first one on.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fast01z28
just a heads up, ihave Koni SA with granatelli springs, they cant be adjusted on the car. total PITA considering i didnt realize this until after i got the first one on.
Why not?

-Mike
Old 10-22-2008, 11:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

They were either put on and oriented incorrectly, or the spring coils are just too tight at the top of the spring to reach the adjuster. This is something I consider with springs when selling them with Koni's.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fast01z28
Certain spring types make it impossible to adjust the front konis.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Even if you use a jack to compress/decompress some of the coils to move them out of the way of the adjuster? I have a few coils that sit in front of the adjuster window when I jack the car up, but if I put a second jack under the lower arm, I can compress them out of the way. Hotchkis springs, btw.

-Mike
Old 10-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
The adjustor stops turning. If yours don't, they're in need of repair.

-Mike
Would that be in the firm direction for both front and rear?

Last edited by some_punk; 10-26-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

either way, firm or soft they should eventually stop at a Max/Min setting. They do not keep turning to infinity and beyond... at least they shouldn't.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tpunk
either way, firm or soft they should eventually stop at a Max/Min setting. They do not keep turning to infinity and beyond... at least they shouldn't.
Mine arent installed yet but when i put the little **** onto the adjusting slot on the top, it turns more than 360 degrees. about how many times should it turn? the instructions says like max is 360

Quick Reply: Koni Question