Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR Spring Question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BMR Spring Question?

I was wondering if anyone has used the BMR lowering springs and how you liked them? I am thinking about getting a set for my car. Thanks for your input in advance!
Old 11-07-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have not used them, but the spring rates posted on their site are close to the Hotchkis and Strano rates. I've had both Hotchkis and Strano's and I really like the linear working rate of the Strano's a lot better. How are you making your decision on springs? Depending on your application there may be other springs that are better.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

ive had them for 5k miles with agxs and am very satisfied tho i have nothing to compare to. the stance is nice and the car doesnt bottom out.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I can only say you need to compare more than the quoted numbers. It looks like my springs and others are very similar--until you see how they are wound in comparison to each other. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Strano claimed rate: 550 front/150 working rear (100 tender rate needed to keep spring from coming loose when axle is at droop.

BMR claimed rate: 550 front/170 rear

Now, I ask you do the two springs appear to be anything alike? This is not an attack on BMR, what I'm about to say is 100% factual. I've never changed the published rate of my springs, or the springs themselves. BMR has not changed their springs, but the listed specs have changed (used to be listed as 310-550 front 145-170 rear). And the specs I listed were on BMR's site for years (and are still listed as such other places).

The BMR Springs are progressive in front, not linear. While I can't argue that they are not normally in the soft end on the fronts (and my rears are like that too, as all rear springs are for this car), the rears certainly are progressive in nature. My tender rate is softer than stock to insure it stays out of play dynamically. BMR's is stiffer than stock, and as you can see in the pics that rate is much longer and in play, which means the spring transitions up from 145-170 as you compress the suspension.

All in all I strongly think there are many worse springs than BMR's. I also believe that I did better (and my springs are the newest of any any out there, but have still been around for over 2 years now).

Personally I don't think any street car needs an ultimate rate of 170 and if I did, I'd have done it. I've got plenty of proven results running the 150's. To each his own, I just don't think more is necessarily better. I don't see the need to drag all that extra weight around in dead coils on the front springs. I opted to use a lighter weight material as well. In fact my springs are over 10 pounds a set less than most, and closer to 14 vs BMR because of material and winding differences.

I've tried very hard to state facts and do so without emotion.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Great but honest vivid comparison Sam!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 11-11-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:25 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Default BMR Rear Springs

Sam, thanks for sticking to the facts.

Coming Soon - New REAR SPRING DESIGN from BMR!!!

BMR Fabrication has a new rear spring design. The springs are currently in the final stage of testing.
The new springs will be available in late November.
  • The BMR spring will have a 1.25" drop (Strano has a 1.2" drop).
  • The new BMR rear spring is a dual rate spring (same as the Strano rear spring).
  • The new BMR rear spring has a working linear rate of 160 pounds per inch (slightly stiffer than the Strano spring).
  • The BMR spring rate is very streetable, but slightly more aggressive.
  • The new BMR spring is LIGHTER than the Strano spring.
  • The BMR spring has an i.d. of 2-9/16" on the bottom (Strano springs have an i.d. of 2-71/6").
  • The BMR spring will fit better on the rear axle spring perch (o.d. of 2.5").
  • BMR springs will still be powdercoated red (Strano spring is off-white).
  • The BMR springs are made from the exact same material as the Strano springs.
  • BMR springs are still proudly Made In America (Strano springs are made in Germany).
  • A set of 4 BMR springs are $249.95, more than $25 less expensive than Strano springs.
  • Free shipping is available from many of BMR's distributors.
In summary, the new BMR rear spring is lighter, less expensive,
more cosmetically appealing, and has a slightly more aggressive spring rate.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302

Last edited by BMR Suspension; 11-08-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Default BMR Front Springs

Sam, thanks for sticking to the facts.

Comparison of Front Springs - BMR and Strano
  • BMR front springs are a dual rate spring (same as Strano rear spring).
  • Strano front springs are a linear rate spring.
  • BMR front springs have a working spring rate of 550 pounds per inch.
  • Strano front springs have a spring rate of 550 pounds per inch.
  • BMR was the first company to use a 550 pound per inch spring.
  • BMR front springs are slightly heavier than Strano springs (2 pounds each).
  • BMR front springs are made from the same material as Strano springs.
  • BMR springs are powdercoated red.
  • Strano springs are off-white.
  • BMR springs are Proudly Made In America.
  • Strano springs are made in Germany.
  • A set of 4 BMR springs are $249.95, more than $25 less expensive than Strano springs.
  • Free shipping is available from many of BMR's distributors.
Although the springs may look different, BMR springs are VERY similar to Strano springs.
BMR springs are made from the same material as Strano springs.
BMR springs have the exact same spring rate of 550 pounds per inch. On the road, you'll never feel a difference!!
BMR springs are 4 pounds heavier (not 14 pounds). They are also $25 less expensive.
They also look better and they are Made in America.

And don't forget, there are 10 times as many BMR springs on the road as Strano.
And there are 10 times as many satisfied BMR customers!!

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 11-08-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tpunk
I have not used them, but the spring rates posted on their site are close to the Hotchkis and Strano rates. I've had both Hotchkis and Strano's and I really like the linear working rate of the Strano's a lot better. How are you making your decision on springs? Depending on your application there may be other springs that are better.
Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I can only say you need to compare more than the quoted numbers. It looks like my springs and others are very similar--until you see how they are wound in comparison to each other. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Strano claimed rate: 550 front/150 working rear (100 tender rate needed to keep spring from coming loose when axle is at droop.

BMR claimed rate: 550 front/170 rear
G]

Now, I ask you do the two springs appear to be anything alike? This is not an attack on BMR, what I'm about to say is 100% factual. I've never changed the published rate of my springs, or the springs themselves. BMR has not changed their springs, but the listed specs have changed (used to be listed as 310-550 front 145-170 rear). And the specs I listed were on BMR's site for years (and are still listed as such other places).

The BMR Springs are progressive in front, not linear. While I can't argue that they are not normally in the soft end on the fronts (and my rears are like that too, as all rear springs are for this car), the rears certainly are progressive in nature. My tender rate is softer than stock to insure it stays out of play dynamically. BMR's is stiffer than stock, and as you can see in the pics that rate is much longer and in play, which means the spring transitions up from 145-170 as you compress the suspension.

All in all I strongly think there are many worse springs than BMR's. I also believe that I did better (and my springs are the newest of any any out there, but have still been around for over 2 years now).

Personally I don't think any street car needs an ultimate rate of 170 and if I did, I'd have done it. I've got plenty of proven results running the 150's. To each his own, I just don't think more is necessarily better. I don't see the need to drag all that extra weight around in dead coils on the front springs. I opted to use a lighter weight material as well. In fact my springs are over 10 pounds a set less than most, and closer to 14 vs BMR because of material and winding differences.

I've tried very hard to state facts and do so without emotion.
Now I am not the most experienced person with spring rates etc. I am using my car for the street and also I race every weekend in a street class at my local dragway! I am looking for a spring that will have a ok ride on the street, but also help ne on the track! What are your suggestions?! Thanks!!
Old 11-08-2008, 03:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chubbz155
Now I am not the most experienced person with spring rates etc. I am using my car for the street and also
I race every weekend in a street class at my local dragway! I am looking for a spring that will have a ok ride on the street, but also
help ne on the track! What are your suggestions?! Thanks!!
BMR springs are designed to work both on the street and at the dragstrip. Strano springs are very similar to BMR springs, so they will work also.
BMR also fabricates a full line of suspension products and we have packages that incorporate our springs and suspension products.

Where do you race? Milan dragway? BMR has 3 customers with 7-second cars that race at Milan (Steve Turley, Mike Brown, and Tom Kempf).
Ask them to show you their BMR suspension parts.
BMR is the only suspension manufacturer with product that has been tested on 190+ mph runs.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 11-08-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

if you like drag racing make sure you have monies for at least relocation brackets and adjustable lca's.

my car stock hooked up great. added lca's and it was amazing. could slam it to the floor and get a near perfect launch. then i lowered it and went back to stock lca's. bye bye traction. added relocation brackets and now its about half as good as stock.

car looks way better though. and handles great. so it's a trade off. i'm getting lca's and a phb soon so hopefully that'll help
Old 11-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
not picking sides

so since BMR was out first. did sam copy BMR or is BMR changing theres to keep up with sam?

just wondering. springs are close to the next purchuse
Old 11-08-2008, 04:19 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
if you like drag racing make sure you have monies for at least relocation brackets and adjustable lca's.

my car stock hooked up great. added lca's and it was amazing. could slam it to the floor and get a near perfect launch. then i lowered it and went back
to stock lca's. bye bye traction. added relocation brackets and now its about half as good as stock.

car looks way better though. and handles great. so it's a trade off. i'm getting lca's and a phb soon so hopefully that'll help
It sounds like your Instant Center location was lowered when you lowered your car.

You should install an Adjustable Torque Arm (TA001) and a Torque Arm Relocation Bracket. The torque arm relocation bracket allows you to adjust the
front mounting point of the torque arm. This adjustability allows you to change the instant center location.

You can improve your traction by raising your instant center location.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 11-08-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

torque arms are expensive and i have no money =(

when i get some i'll consider it though
Old 11-08-2008, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
not picking sides

so since BMR was out first. did sam copy BMR or is BMR changing theres to keep up with sam?

Hmmmm.......

Since BMR started selling springs years before Strano, it would be easy to
say that Strano copied BMR. However, I don't think that Sam would do that.

My guess is that both designs are close to optimal for an all-purpose
(street, handling, and drag) spring. Therefore, BMR and Strano developed
springs independently and still came up with a similar design.

Regarding BMR's new rear spring design, we redesigned them to be lighter
and to drop them another 0.25". Customers have been asking us for a 1.25" drop spring
for a long time now.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302

Last edited by BMR Suspension; 11-08-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chubbz155
Now I am not the most experienced person with spring rates etc. I am using my car for the street and also I race every weekend in a street class at my local dragway! I am looking for a spring that will have a ok ride on the street, but also help ne on the track! What are your suggestions?! Thanks!!
No lowering springs will help launching, this is where you need to choose what to sacrifice.

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
not picking sides

I'm thinking the latter.
They first advertised their springs as progressive (both on their website and on this forum) and then later changed the advertising (not the springs) to linear. Now they are developing a spring that is even closer to Sam's rear spring.
They also fail to mention that Sam's prices are with shipping included.
And I love the fact they keep forcing the "made in USA" down our throats when we are driving Canadian made cars, with Mexican, Chinese and god know where else parts... If we truly valued where things were made, we would not be driving Fbodys.
I don't think either are a bad choice to go with, but why do you want springs in the first place (there may be bigger fish to fry, like the stock shocks).
Old 11-08-2008, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
BMR springs are designed to work both on the street and at the dragstrip. Strano springs are very similar to BMR springs, so they will work also.
BMR also fabricates a full line of suspension products and we have packages that incorporate our springs and suspension.

Where do you race? Milan dragway? BMR has 3 customers with 7-second cars that race at Milan (Steve Turley, Mike Brown, and Tom Kempf).
Ask them to show you their BMR suspension parts.
BMR is the only suspension manufacturer with product that has been tested on 190+ mph runs.
Originally Posted by therealcreeper

my car stock hooked up great. added lca's and it was amazing. could slam it to the floor and get a near perfect launch. then i lowered it and went back to stock lca's. bye bye traction. added relocation brackets and now its about half as good as stock.

Yea I race at Milan! Are a couple of them from Ohio Boys racing and race the heads-up series? So your springs run great on the track and the street!! How is the ride?
I am probably going to also add KYB AGX Shocks and struts! I also plan on adding LCA's with Brackets, a Pan hard bar, and SFC's! So that My car is ready for when I start
adding more performance and a stall converter to my car!

Last edited by Chubbz155; 11-08-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So my BMR springs aren't linear. Guess they are more like a cargo style spring. Don't know which is better really.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Teching In

I run BMR springs and am very happy with them. Ride feels very solid, but not rough. It's great and feels smooth on the street, but when you push it in autocross it feels very sturdy and responsive, and if you take it to the drag strip and turn down the firmness setting on the front shocks if you have adjustables (I have agx's) the car launches very nicely.

Definitely recommended, I've had eibach as well and like my BMR's much more. I got my set from texas speed a while back along with some other goodies.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
No lowering springs will help launching, this is where you need to choose what to sacrifice.

I'm thinking the latter.
They first advertised their springs as progressive (both on their website and on this forum) and then later changed the advertising (not the springs) to linear. Now they are developing a spring that is even closer to Sam's rear spring.
They also fail to mention that Sam's prices are with shipping included.
And I love the fact they keep forcing the "made in USA" down our throats when we are driving Canadian made cars, with Mexican, Chinese and god know where else parts... If we truly valued where things were made, we would not be driving Fbodys.
I don't think either are a bad choice to go with, but why do you want springs in the first place (there may be bigger fish to fry, like the stock shocks).

first, i Love made in USA.

Second i am driveing a F-Body with the check engine word(not the little motor)so my car was intened for the USA. also GM is in the USA.

i don't mean to get all patriotic but have a little respect for American Goods.

alot of gm stuff is made out of country but acembled in states.

GOD BLESS THE USA and the goods made here by hard working AMERICAN Citizens.

so to hijack. but to the thread

Quick Reply: BMR Spring Question?