Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Camaro or vette calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro or vette calipers?

OK,after doing a search ,My first by the way! LOL It seems the C5 or C6 vette kit that is avalible threw UMI or BMR is a pressure type vette caliper verses the gravity type which is used on the camaro. This equates into better braking, if constantly being used like in auto cross racing verses daily . From my search, it seems if street or track used,,,the camaro calipers pistons are actually bigger and better because the vette caliper pistons were made smaller to bias the rear vette brakes.How does this equate for street use?Am i better off staying with my camaro calipers and just doing the bracket and bigger rotters for stopping power? If so! I still want a nicer looking calipers then whats on my camaro! Is there a nicer looking after market camaro caliper thats about the same size and stopping power as the stock camaros ?The reasons is,,, my rim size! I just bought a new set of 18''CCW 505A;s I WANT NICE LOOKING CALIPERS LOL Any help guys or an i going to be stuck powder coating mine ?Or is the C5/C6 caliper even though smaller, going to be fine for me?Thanks Barnat
Old 11-07-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL!!!On a secound note I guess the C6 or C5 vette calipers are better even though the pistons are smaller because GMMG uses this same set up on there F bodys. Im just confused after doing a search on this subject ,,,,So ,any help will be appreciated guys
Old 11-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

I just did this to my brakes. I used the camaro calipers and got the brackets off of ebay. The pistons are bigger with the camaro caliper. As a matter of fact I have 17" zr1s on the front and they barely clear. It is a very close fit. They look really good and if you are worried about how they look you can always paint them any color you want.

The corvette caliper pad is a tiny bit bigger. If you go on Hawk Pad site it gives you the pad dimensions. It is a very small difference.

The car brakes very good. I also put the hp+ pads all around.

I got the edlebrock brake line kit too. It is also very nice.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll be better off going with a bigger rotor off the Corvette then replacing the caliper. You will need at least 17" wheels though.