Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Trouble bleeding rear brakes-Fronts OK

Old 11-14-2008, 05:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trouble bleeding rear brakes-Fronts OK

Trying to bleed the rear brakes on a 99 GMC Jimmy. When the bleed screws are opened on the rear calipers the fluid barely comes out and the pedal is very hard to depress. The fronts are good. The rotors in the rear have rust on them so I know the calipers are not clamping the rotors when the brake pedal is depressed. Any ideas where I might have a blockage that is common to both rear calipers only?
Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Trying to bleed the rear brakes on a 99 GMC Jimmy. When the bleed screws are opened on the rear calipers the fluid barely comes out and the pedal is very hard to depress. The fronts are good. The rotors in the rear have rust on them so I know the calipers are not clamping the rotors when the brake pedal is depressed. Any ideas where I might have a blockage that is common to both rear calipers only?
What happens if you completely take out the bleeder screw? You can rule out the screw is blocked up/corroded that way.

Other than that, I'd probably try checking at specific points to see where the blockage might be. Disconnect line at caliper, disco at hard line... etc. Might not be the best way to do it, but probably what I'd do.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the truck have traction control, or anything like that? If so, you might have to have the ignition in the "on" position, to power up the solenoids that control fluid flow to the rear brakes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trouble bleeding rear brakes-Fronts OK