Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pinion angle with smart level??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pinion angle with smart level??

I have some questions about setting the pinion angle. I have read all the searches and I understand how it works however, can I use just a Smart level (digital) on the bottom of the pinion and be done? Set my torque arm till the gauge says -2 or thereabouts?? Second is my setup currently does not have the torque arm in the car and the housing does face upwards, I think it is because the swaybar is fighting the rearend when unloaded causing this, so how would I start with the torque arm and were would I want to start with the heims? Do you get the top and crossmember heim lined up and put the bolt thru it and then just adjust the bottom adjuster until the bottom heim lines up and then proceed to adjust your pinion angle?? I did a test fit of the torque arm and I seemed to be fighting between the 3 heims and the current angle of the housing facing upwards. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

You have to get the angle of the rear output of the transmission to figure out where to set pinion. If your tranny sits level (0*) then you could set the pinion angle to -2*, but I doubt you tranny is 0. Let's say that your tranny is 3*. You would then set you pinion to 1* to have -2.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
I have some questions about setting the pinion angle. I have read all the searches and I understand how it works however, can I use just a Smart level (digital) on the bottom of the pinion and be done? Set my torque arm till the gauge says -2 or thereabouts?? Second is my setup currently does not have the torque arm in the car and the housing does face upwards, I think it is because the swaybar is fighting the rearend when unloaded causing this, so how would I start with the torque arm and were would I want to start with the heims? Do you get the top and crossmember heim lined up and put the bolt thru it and then just adjust the bottom adjuster until the bottom heim lines up and then proceed to adjust your pinion angle?? I did a test fit of the torque arm and I seemed to be fighting between the 3 heims and the current angle of the housing facing upwards. Thanks for the help.
Refer to our video on our web site. It shows where you need to take the measurements at. If you have any questions please give us a call.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/
http://www.bmrtvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=3788
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-14-2008, 01:16 PM
10 Second Club

So then we are talking working angle not pinion angle? I think this is where there is alot of confusion on this board about this issue. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Now what if you have a tunnel crossmember and torque arm? Would you still go off of the torque arm or can you go off of the driveshaft in this situation since this is what we are trying to determine? The driveshaft working angle.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're basically comparing the angle of the transmission's output shaft to the differential's angle, so to speak. And yes, the rear springs will cause the rear axle to rotate when there is no torque arm in place. Therefore, you have to have the torque arm installed, as well as the engine/transmission.