Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stuck with a problem!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stuck with a problem!

well ive been workin on this for like 3 weeks now... i was followin a friend and hit a bump on a backroad goin about 40 and now i have a metal on metal sound that is like a constant vibrating at all times... like in park, drive, reverse... it sounds like it is in the area of my passenger seat or maybe forward from that... and so far ive replaced the motor mounts, tranny mount, driveshaft u joints just because they had a ton of play, and i think the polyurethane motor mounts made it worse because its more of a constant and louder vibration now.... today i took it to the exhaust shop in town because i figured after all of this that it had to be exhaust hitting somewhere... so they took all my exhaust off up to my y pipe and wrapped rubber anywhere that it looked close on the y pipe to try to dampen the noise to see if thats what it was... and sure enough it wasnt in the exhaust... so now im still stuck at step one and i hate to keep throwing money at it and not fixing it... the only thing i can think of is the torque arm mount because it has a little play in it and the fact that putting the poly motor mounts and poly tranny mount made it worse because they are putting the vibration into it more... but there is still a ton of rubber left on that mount and the play isnt like outrageous so i dunno
if anyone has any ideas as to what i should try now let me know!
thanks
Old 11-14-2008, 05:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the heat shields around where the cat(s)
are / were, on mine they are only held on with
a couple of screws and maybe you bent or tore
one so it's buzzing the body.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

k ill check but its not so much of a buzzing as it is like full on rubbing... cuz i had a heat shield do that on my old truck and it was more of a buzzing noise than rubbing... also i forgot to add that at the shop today they said if they pushed down on the back of the car and made it drop like a couple inches or so that the noise was completely gone..
.and also that you cant hear the noise really from the outside... just pretty loud on the inside
Old 11-16-2008, 02:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone else have any input as to what it could be?
Old 11-24-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats hard to tell without being able to hear the noise and look at the car. Id like to help, but hard to go by explanations on some things.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my best advice would be to get under there with a rubber hammer and start tapping everything until you can make the car make the noise, then you can narrow it down.