Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New pads/rotors => Squealing?

Old 11-23-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New pads/rotors => Squealing?

I know, I know... another thread about brakes squealing. However, I just have a few simple questions...

I installed Brembo Blanks and EBC GreenStuff pads. Per EBC, I am to break these pads in by "taking it easy on the brakes for the first 100 miles" then "medium use the 2nd 100 miles" followed by a few 60mph to 10mph brakes once I complete the entire 200 mile break-in.

Well, I'm at 115ish miles. The problem is these things are squealing like a mother when I'm braking and getting down to, oh say 20 miles and under until stopped. Funny thing is when I first get around 20mph (while braking to a full stop) it's a high pitch squeal, followed by a much lower squeal on the final seconds (i.e. less than 10mph). Sometimes there is a few seconds of squealing when I accelerate out of a stop until maybe 5-10mph, but not always. I know these things aren't dragging though, because I took it to a slight incline and let it roll freely and there was no grinding, rubbing, squealing, etc.

I know I'm still in the break-in period so I'm sure some will say "oh just let it go... when the pads and rotors "bed" it'll go away" and that's fine, but I just would like a little reassurance if that's the case because it sounds like a full on symphony when I come to a stop light. It's embarassing!

Any insights??
Old 11-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I had the same problem due to bad wheel bearings in the front. My OEM bearings ended up lasting me around 70K before they started squealing. (The sound was exactly like a brake squeal.)

I was able to confirm the bearings were bad by taking the wheel, caliper, and rotor off - then turning the hub by hand. By doing that, I could feel and hear the bearings grinding. (If your bearings are just starting to go bad, the usual wobble check may not show you anything.)
Old 11-23-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That seems a little too coincidentle(sp?) to me...

Before I put the rotors and pads on there was absolutely NO SQUEALLING. Immediately after, there's squealling. And it only happens when I apply the brakes, hence why this MUST be a brake issue.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you clean up the caliper guide pins and re-grease them? Also, you should put a little caliper grease on the edges of the pads that contact the caliper bracket as well as a little on the back face of both pads where they contact the caliper piston and the caliper housing. This really helps to reduce the squeal.

Also keep in mind, usually more aggressive pads do squeal more than el-cheapo pads.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
Did you clean up the caliper guide pins and re-grease them? Also, you should put a little caliper grease on the edges of the pads that contact the caliper bracket as well as a little on the back face of both pads where they contact the caliper piston and the caliper housing. This really helps to reduce the squeal.
I didn't do this. Are you referring to the caliper bolts? I will try this the next time I have a free day. Is there "caliper grease" I can pick up at an Advance or would good old White Lithium do?
Old 11-23-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, The caliper bolts are what thread into the caliper guide pins. They are located on/in the caliper bracket and they have a little rubber boot over them. Sometimes they tear when you try and replace them.

Check out the R&D section of my website for the Autozone P/n for the "rebuild" kit which includes the boots, pins and the "shims."

CRC makes some nice caliper grease that you can buy at autozone.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm pretty positive none of the rubber guide pin boots tore. Should I just go ahead and invest in the rebuild kit? I've never rebuilt a caplier, but it can't be all that hard...

Last edited by Adam2001WS6; 11-23-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, you really are not rebuilding the caliper. I guess I should have called it a caliper hardware kit. It includes the guide pins, caliper bolts, brake pad shims and the rubber boots. I always replace all these components when I change pads.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will this be a good shot at making this squeal go away? I mean if it comes down to cheaper pads not squealling, I will gladly go out and get some. It's getting unbearable to be honest.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It should help. If this doesn't cut it, then you may want to try some of that blue anti-squeal stuff on the back of the pads. Although I hate to use that stuff cause it's sticky and messy.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, and I think you were the one that convinced me not to use it in another thread

I just ordered all 4 part numbers via your website from Autozone. Might you know the part number for the CRC Caliper Grease? Is Permatex's Caliper grease just as good?

I'll let you know the results. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm glad i could help out, which is why I have that list on my website.

I don't have experience with the Permatex Caliper Grease so I can't say if it is any better or worse or jsut the same... Here's a link to the product I am talking about: http://www.google.com/products?clien...num=1&ct=title

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New pads/rotors => Squealing?