Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Srpings & Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Srpings & Shocks

Ok guys, I rode in a buddies 69 camaro RS that he has completely upgraded and its a 396 big block, 500HP (@rear) and it absolutely rides like a dream. He has edelbrock springs I know but I don't know what else. I do know he has the leaf spring out back

My trans am moves a hell of a lot when the boost kicks in (to be expected, chassis movement and such) and when the tires spin over she likes to move quite a bit out of a straight line. Once I let out of it from the tires spinning over the car will hop back into a straight line.

I have built this car for fun and a daily driver if I wanted. It doesn't really see the dragstrip except for a few passes in a year. I was wanting to upgrade the suspension a tad with some better shocks and still have a nice ride.
From what I have read, stick with the stock springs, and go to some better shocks. but what brand? LOL. Koni, QA1 Hal, bilstein, edelbrock?

Out of curiosity does anyone know the STOCK spring details and shock details for the front and rear? that would be nice to know to compare with what I should buy/upgrade to

Also, with Rear control arm relocation brackets (the bolt in from SPOHN), does it affect any part of the rearend dropping wise when on a lift??, I would assume not. I'm worried about how low it will go as my piping now goes UNDER the rearend.

Last edited by ZL1Killa; 11-24-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give Sam Strano a call.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

a nice upgrade for you would be the Strange single adjustable shocks. you can turn a **** and adjust some of the ride quality and tune the weight transfer for dragstrip performance. they are fine for street use as well as racing, and are by far the best bang for the buck in an adjustable shock.
the amount of drop in the rearend when lifted will be controlled by the extended length of the shock. this would be something you would need to check after install as not all the manufacturers use the same travel lengths.
i would opt for a set of weld-in lca relocators vs. bolt-in. the bolt-in ones will have a tendency to move around over time. the weld-in type install the same, but they are fixed in their location by a coupe of small welds instead of a add-on bracket.
PM me for pricing info on all of your suspension part needs.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

yeh i was figuring weld-in would be better. I have a welder guy so that wouldn't be a problem, plus i have to get my exhaust done by him also, so that will just be another quick item.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
Ok guys, I rode in a buddies 69 camaro RS that he has completely upgraded and its a 396 big block, 500HP (@rear) and it absolutely rides like a dream. He has edelbrock springs I know but I don't know what else. I do know he has the leaf spring out back

My trans am moves a hell of a lot when the boost kicks in (to be expected, chassis movement and such) and when the tires spin over she likes to move quite a bit out of a straight line. Once I let out of it from the tires spinning over the car will hop back into a straight line.

I have built this car for fun and a daily driver if I wanted. It doesn't really see the dragstrip except for a few passes in a year. I was wanting to upgrade the suspension a tad with some better shocks and still have a nice ride.
From what I have read, stick with the stock springs, and go to some better shocks. but what brand? LOL. Koni, QA1 Hal, bilstein, edelbrock?
So define "good ride". Do you want to firm it up, but get rid of the jarring-ness when hitting bumps, and have more body control(kinda like a german sports sedan)? Or do you want it to be more loose and squishy(more like an old buick)?

Out of curiosity does anyone know the STOCK spring details and shock details for the front and rear? that would be nice to know to compare with what I should buy/upgrade to
You can find the stock spring rates here:
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html
Old 11-24-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
So define "good ride". Do you want to firm it up, but get rid of the jarring-ness when hitting bumps, and have more body control(kinda like a german sports sedan)? Or do you want it to be more loose and squishy(more like an old buick)?

You can find the stock spring rates here:
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html
THANK YOU!

I would like more body control, firm it up, getting rid of some of the jarring-ness would be nice. don't really want squishy but i don't want to be bouncing ( i had the eibach pro kit, just springs, factor shocks and hated it)

I don't want to lower my car at all either, can't go down at all.

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
Give Sam Strano a call.
will do. I like their website!!! probably be buying brakes from them too.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
THANK YOU!

I would like more body control, firm it up, getting rid of some of the jarring-ness would be nice. don't really want squishy but i don't want to be bouncing ( i had the eibach pro kit, just springs, factor shocks and hated it)
Then you don't want drag shocks like QA1, Strange or Afco.
You want handling shocks like bilstien or Koni.
It would be easiest if you would call up Sam and talk it over with him.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Yep, will be calling Sam tomorrow. Thanks man!
Old 11-25-2008, 02:16 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yep... Koni's and Strano springs are in line for you.. good luck!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

a buddy of mine went with Konis, it has been a while since I rode in his car, but I think i can arrange a ride in it here soon as I'm getting with him so he can tune my malibu
Old 11-26-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

I got the awesome chance to talk with Sam Strano today for quite a while. If you want to learn a hell of a lot and get exactly what you need in the process and even learn what you may want to invest in later Sam Strano is not only THE man but the one stop get-r-done man!!!!

I talked with him through:
  • Brakes - Rotors
  • Brakes - Pads
  • Brakes - Fluid
  • Shocks
  • Sway Bars
  • Clutches
  • Torque Arms

and all of my questions have been answered, not just 100%, but 150%!!!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah sam is the man
Old 12-01-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

one question tho, I was looking at the ATE brake fluid. there is dot3 and dot4 fluid.... and I'm guessing they aren't compatible with each other?? so if i bought the ATE dot4 fluid, I would have to flush my old out
Old 12-01-2008, 10:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

ATE is fully compatible with DOT 3, but it exceeds DOT 4 specs. It is not Silicone based, which is fluid that requires a full flush, down to ever last drop to run.

In order to get the new fluid in and through you need to flush it anyway, but with the ATE you don't need to kill yourself as it works just fine with any that might be left over.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
ATE is fully compatible with DOT 3, but it exceeds DOT 4 specs. It is not Silicone based, which is fluid that requires a full flush, down to ever last drop to run.

In order to get the new fluid in and through you need to flush it anyway, but with the ATE you don't need to kill yourself as it works just fine with any that might be left over.
ok, wanted to make sure of that. I will probably buy several bottles of ATE, and flush it good anyway.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

2 bottles is generally more than enough (and what we included with a few of our BP setups that have lines).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Srpings & Shocks