Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque arm

Got a quick couple of questions. Frist can I install a adjustable torque arm myself in the driveway without having to worry about it not being angled right? Second going to get the transmission cross member with relocation bracket just had the tailshaft extension case cracked and replacing it. So figured it would be a go idea to get the ta moved off of the tailshaft so I don't have to do it again. So the question is can I just bolt it right on or are there adjustments on it as well? Both the ta and relocation parts are going to be umi.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure on the UMI relocation crossmember but my BMR one has a couple different mounts to adjust the instant center. I plan on doing mine in the garage with a non-adjustable UMI torque. It can be done like this without a lift but i hear it's definitely harder
Old 02-17-2018, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Let me know how it goes I will be doing mine next month
Old 02-17-2018, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep it will be at least a month or more for me as well since the car sits in storage right now
Old 02-17-2018, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Yes, you can install both of those items yourself and get your angles right with some patience and fiddling. The torque arm relocation bracket has 4 different mounting positions for instant center and the UMI instructions that come with it tell you where they recommend starting out and you can go up/down from there depending on what you want to do. As you can see in the pic below, there are 4 positions on the bracket to mount the nose of the torque arm for instant center adjustment.

Adjusting the pinion angle on the torque arm just requires you to get under it with the rear end under load (suspension loaded) and they give you a magnetic angle finder to dial it in. Personally, after messing with my pinion angle after a lot of changes to my car, I'd recommend going to Lowe's and picking up a digital magnetic angle finder for $30. It'll make it so much easier/faster, not to mention it's smaller and fits on the trans yoke easier if you have an ORY.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Aside from being one of UMI's oldest dealers, I also have a full length adjustable TA on my car, as well as the relocation bracket.

Here is the trick for me and it's simple to start from.

I can supply an angle finder with the Torque arm (a basic one, no need for fancy digital). Before you take anything off the car, you measure some angles. A spot on the diff, somewhere repeatable and I would recommend marking it so you know exactly where when you remeasure, and the same on driveshaft too. AND WRITE THEM DOWN.

Swap on the new stuff, pick your position on the front mount, there is a setting that is like stock but you can go up and down from there, but of course those will change your pinion angle quite a lot. Then simply measure your diff and driveshaft again, and set the angle on the torque arm to match your stock measurements. Of course this only works if you didn't have a pinion angle vibe to start with. But it's really the most simple and foolproof way to do the job.

And again, I have the UMI arm and bracket. If you get both I'll happily toss the angle finder in on the deal, plus I have useful advice.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Sam how much would you charge for shipping the bracket and arm to texas
Old 02-21-2018, 10:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Would need a zip code, but I think I can do you pretty well on shipping if you were to get both. BTW, would also need to know if the car is a stick or auto.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-22-2018, 11:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

replied to your PM.