Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Watts link

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strano Watts link

Has anybody installed/tested the Watts link that Strano made a while ago?

I'm really curious as to how it's worked out. For those who installed it, have you tested the setup on a road course/autox? Does it help balance out the rear with it's larger weight and ability to let the rear rotate about its center? Or is it mainly a "show" part? Anybody had any problems with it?

*edit* I doubt it will, but will the Watts link work with one of the FAB9" rears? How about an S60?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The watts like will work with a S60, all you would need to do is specify the axle tube diameter and they will include axle clamps to accomodate it. Not sure about the fab 9, im sure it would work unless it has a back brace. But if your needing a back brace your probably not concerned about going around corners, which is what that part is for.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

i tested it but only use on the street

makes the car feel firm in the rear. noticeable when shifting lanes on the highway. around turns. I wouldn't go back for sure

i had one of my friends (non-car guy) drive the car and he instantly felt the difference and knew i had installed something.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Teching In

I heard that it feels as if Jesus himself has his hand underneath your car!!!!

J/K

I heard nothing but good things about the Watts Link
Old 11-25-2008, 01:28 AM
TECH Addict

I havent heard anything about it. Im curious as well as how it performs.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

There were a couple of threads about it. I don't know the actual number of units sold but it seems like a couple of people jumped in.

One thread was in the sponsor sales the other 2? were in the suspension.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
i tested it but only use on the street

makes the car feel firm in the rear. noticeable when shifting lanes on the highway. around turns. I wouldn't go back for sure

i had one of my friends (non-car guy) drive the car and he instantly felt the difference and knew i had installed something.
That's the kind of response that I'm looking for. Anybody else with any experience?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

It's not a show part... At all. This is about performance, period.

Here are some quotes you read from customer who've installed them on factory PHB equipped cars (both f-body and new Mustang).

"¥ All aspects of Weight Transfer have improved. ¥ All aspects of Traction have improved. ¥ Turn-in is much more PRECISE. ¥ Cornering traction has improved beyond all expectations. ¥ Steering is smoother. With the rear tracking the front under corner load transfer compression, fewer corrections are necessary. ¥ Tracking is better by an order of magnitude. It is much easier to hold a line. Much more PRECISE. ¥ Powering out of a turn is much more stable, controllable and PRECISE. ¥ Straight-line acceleration is much smoother and has a much more solid and PRECISE feel to it. ¥ Breaking, whether straight-line or during lateral weight transfer is much more stable, easier to control, more PRECISE. ¥ Traction under hard acceleration has improved. ¥ Traction under hard breaking has improved. ¥ The right rear bias to stiffness, caused by the pan-hard geometry, has entirely disappeared. My expensive suspension system is finally working to it's full potential."

"Hands down, a Watts link positively improves the dynamics and handling of the car. "Dampened", "behaved", "settled" were all terms I used to describe the characteristics of a Watts link in Sessions 1, 2 and 3. However, the word I used the most is "predictable." Adjusting the roll center height changes the characteristic of the car but no matter the setting, the car was predictable and controllable...... Now, ignore all the on-track feedback for a moment and let's talk about commuting. My comments regarding the ride home on the public roads are the same as what I felt on the track. No, I didnÕt have to worry about front end push while turning into my driveway nor having to trail brake into Dunkin Donuts. But the rear end was no longer jumping erratically over un-even pavement and expansion joints-it was dampened, settled and predictable. My wife even noticed the improvement while riding shotgun. I left the track having reset roll center to one-below-neutral. Right now, that's my daily driver setup. Next time at that track, I'll compare -1 and -2 below neutral"

"Drove about 50 miles today in about a five mile radius of my house. So far I'm really smiling. I think this is going to work well. I was on nittos (instead of hoosiers) Figured I'd better pull in before someone called the state police. First time I liked the long response time around here.
I absolutely Can't wait to get it back on a track. Nelson ledges had two day open track this weekend and BMWCCA has a week long school /octoberfest at Watkins Glen - THIS WEEK. Damn this lack of time off."

"I went out on the 2nd one and literally tried to make the thing transition as fast as possible and mostly the rear just stuck which was nice."

"what i have experienced since the fays2 watts link install is that when i approach a curve, there is no "shifting" of the rear end when entering a curve and "setting" of the rear end when the car reaches a certain level of outward force while taking the curve. the rear of the car stays planted and inspires confidence. the car now handles the same turning right or left, and this to me was one of the main characteristics i have been looking for. i have also witnessed that curves can be taken faster than before, and the car can even accelerate through curves where the throttle had to remain steady before."

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-25-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what kind of weight difference is there. Obviously it doesn't really matter that much since the car handles better but it would be interesting to know. What kind of rears will it work with?
Old 11-25-2008, 04:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The Watts link works with any standard type rear axle housing. It will not work with the fabricated type 9's. GM 10-bolt, 12-bolt, standard type 9", and S60's all can use the Watts Link.

Weight it's just over 26 pounds. You replace about 7-8 pounds of parts to install. Net difference is about 17 pounds in total, and most of that is sprung weight, not the less desirable unsprung weight.

Here's some info from a customer who (obviously) wanted to know compared to what he removed:

added weight:
Watts frame: 11 3/4 lb
link assemblies, total for pair: 3 5/8 lb
axle clamp assemblies, including rod end and mounting bolts, total for pair: 10 3/4
bellcrank assembly, including rod end and mounting bolts: 2 1/2 lb

Weight removed:
upper PHB brace: 4 1/4 lb
aluminum PHB w/ aluminum rod ends, including bushings and driver side bolt: 2 3/4 lb

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:34 PM
12 Second Club

Sam,
Will there be any special BLACK friday pricing on the F-body Watts link ?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96silverram
Sam,
Will there be any special BLACK friday pricing on the F-body Watts link ?
Wouldnt that be nice.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for those responses Sam. I appreciate it.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I saw pics of it on another site, looked pretty cool..
Old 11-26-2008, 09:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Pricing is mandated by the manufactuer... and it's pretty much set. Sorry.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Just finished installing the watts link a few weeks ago. good upgrade for sure.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The Watts link works with any standard type rear axle housing. It will not work with the fabricated type 9's. GM 10-bolt, 12-bolt, standard type 9", and S60's all can use the Watts Link.
Will it work with a Kooks 3" dual exhaust?
Old 02-21-2018, 01:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have one that will.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Can you center the rear with this watts link?
Old 02-22-2018, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

The whole point of a Watts link is to center the rear and keep it there no matter what the car is doing. The rear can only travel up/down with a Watts link. No more arc travel like the PHB allows.

Quick Reply: Strano Watts link