Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Long Torque arm, but not mounted on tailshaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Long Torque arm, but not mounted on tailshaft

I havent checked recently on TAs, but Ive heard that there are Torque arms that are the stock length or (long), but they have a relocation to mount on the crossmember?? or something, but not on the tail shaft.... Now , hopefully it does mount to the crossmember and not the chassis...

My whole reasoning for such a request is, I do drag race this car, but I also road race it and The short TA really sucks on decel when I road race, Ive wheel hopped many times because of the short TA... This is my MAIN reason for asking if such a TA exists and if so, who makes it??...

MY TA (which is a UMI TA) also has a D/S safety loop and I have 3 pt UMI SFC, which also add extra weight to the car, but are recommended to run with the chassis mounted TAs....

So if a torque arm does exist that is the longer length and is npot mounted to the chassis, id like to purchase it. ALso Ill save a good 30lbs removing my 3pt SFCs (Im getting a 5 or 6 pt rollbar welded anyways)

So hopefully someone could help me with this issue...
Old 11-25-2008, 01:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered an adjustable torque arm made for regular length and then just got a crossmember built for the relocation. That's all there is to it.

Several sponsors make them. I think BMR and Yank both have some models of varied prices. Feel free to chime in with a comprehensive list but those are the only ones I could think of off the top of my head.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

UMI and BMR both have transmission crossmembers with a built in TA relocation mount.
A factory TA, or factory sized/style aftermarket TA is what their designed for.

http://www.umiperformance.com/produc...ategory_id=131

Scroll down to bottom of page
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodyChassis.htm
Old 11-25-2008, 06:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Yes we have both items you are looking for and I posted two links below... please take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

www.umiperformance.com/2205

www.umiperformance.com/2207

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 11-25-2008, 08:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
I havent checked recently on TAs, but Ive heard that there are Torque arms that are the stock length or (long), but they have a relocation to mount on the crossmember?? or something, but not on the tail shaft.... Now , hopefully it does mount to the crossmember and not the chassis...

My whole reasoning for such a request is, I do drag race this car, but I also road race it and The short TA really sucks on decel when I road race, Ive wheel hopped many times because of the short TA... This is my MAIN reason for asking if such a TA exists and if so, who makes it??...

MY TA (which is a UMI TA) also has a D/S safety loop and I have 3 pt UMI SFC, which also add extra weight to the car, but are recommended to run with the chassis mounted TAs....

So if a torque arm does exist that is the longer length and is npot mounted to the chassis, id like to purchase it. ALso Ill save a good 30lbs removing my 3pt SFCs (Im getting a 5 or 6 pt rollbar welded anyways)

So hopefully someone could help me with this issue...
Hello, we have a full length adjustable torque arm that when used with our relocation bracket give you the strength that you need but also some adjustability features as well. This arm/relocation combo works great in a road race, street or drag application. We have the arm available in either dom steel or chrome moly. If you decide to put frame connectors back on the car we have a weld in 2 point boxed set that ties into the lower control arm pocket for added strength. You will also be able to tie your cage into this as well. Here is a link to our site,if you have any questions please give us a call.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-09-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks to all sponsors for their posts...

Id like Strano to chime in here to asssure me this will improve my road racing or at least prevent wheel hop
Old 12-01-2008, 03:33 AM
11 Second Club

bump for strano to answer this, if possible
Old 12-02-2008, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
Thanks to all sponsors for their posts...

Id like Strano to chime in here to asssure me this will improve my road racing or at least prevent wheel hop
Relocating the torque arm off of the transmission is not going to stop wheel hop. You will have instant center adjustment and the the benefits of a full length torque arm. The main reason to relocate your torque arm is to save the transmission tailshaft from breaking.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-02-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Relocating the torque arm off of the transmission is not going to stop wheel hop. You will have instant center adjustment and the the benefits of a full length torque arm. The main reason to relocate your torque arm is to save the transmission tailshaft from breaking.

But I think he is presently running a short TA so it will certainly help with wheelhop from braking in this case.