Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

sway bar question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sway bar question

So I just had a Dana60 installed and now I think I have an issue. So I have some 28" tall tires on the car right now and noticed that with them on the sway bar touches the rear cover on the Dana. There is about 1/2 inch in length touching the cover. The sway bar is a Strano 23mm unit. Will this be a problem?

Last edited by pushinfreight; 11-25-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

You can do one of two things. Shorten the endlinks which will rotate the bar down and away from the cover. Or you can fab up some spacer blocks to lower the bar down in mounts to make more room.

The bar is meant for stock axles, though it works on most all of the others. The Dana is BIG, and just takes up more room, so sometimes we need to adjust a little to fit. The bar should not hit the cover. And the bar is actually 7/8", or 22mm.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-25-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Sam, I could not remember if it was 22 0r 23. So for the spacer blocks would that be where the end links mount to the body of the car for placement?
Old 11-25-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just looked and the end links are not adjustible. Sorry for the bad shots camera phone and it is still on the garage floor.
Attached Thumbnails sway bar question-end-link.jpg   sway bar question-sway-bar.jpg  

Last edited by pushinfreight; 11-25-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

No, the spacers would go between the bar and the axle mount.... And the links aren't adjustable (and those aren't my links, though it wouldn't matter). You'd have to cut the spacer tube down some to shorten the link. But be careful, the threads only go so far. It'd be best to just run a bit shorter link and/or spacer the bar down from the axle (which is more recommended).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-25-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So do you sell an adjustible link that would work for me? If not can you shave down the bushing at all in addition to trimming down the center spacer? It looks like I only need about a half an inch for clearance with the cover.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There is no such thing that actually works. You need to listen to me on this, and stop trying to get around with stop gaps. You might need 1/2" at the cover now, but what happens when the suspension compresses? I'll tell you what happens, the bar rotates back up as the body moves down.

You have a rear axle that is not only not stock, but HUGE too. You will have to make a few changes. And you need to have some spacers made to move the bar down.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
There is no such thing that actually works. You need to listen to me on this, and stop trying to get around with stop gaps. You might need 1/2" at the cover now, but what happens when the suspension compresses? I'll tell you what happens, the bar rotates back up as the body moves down.

You have a rear axle that is not only not stock, but HUGE too. You will have to make a few changes. And you need to have some spacers made to move the bar down.
Ok so any idea of how much of a spacer I am going to need?

I see the brackets made by BMR and Spoon but that seems excessive and would put the sway bar too low.

Quick Reply: sway bar question