Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

4 People in a Lowered Car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4 People in a Lowered Car?

Has anyone lowered and had 4 people in the car? Im going to have to often in college when I bring the car next fall since many people don't bring theirs. I have and will probably never replace my oem 16s. Ill also have 3 point sub frames if that makes a difference because of stiffness.

Also, I was thinking of getting the g2 springs in december (I decided on about a 2" drop) and if the ride quality isnt tolerable on oems, ill have about $400 for shocks in the summer. So besides my dad taking out the car every other week and about a month of city driving, the car wont be used anyways.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a set of lowering springs in my 3rd gen Firebird (a 1985), and ONE time, I had myself plus 4 people in it !!?? However, we were going out to lunch, just across the street from work, and it was raining, and my car was parked closest to the door.....

Several years later, I had myself and 2 people in my '96 Z-28, lowered with the Eiback Pro-Kit, and dragged the subframe connectors on a speed bump. I think the driver +3 would be pushing it, with a lowered car, unless it's a really short trip on really smooth roads, at moderate speeds.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya my exhaust would drag on speed bumps, plus i think i was on the bump stops the whole time and if i wasnt i was just hovering above them.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats not bad. there are no speed bumps here.

did you have aftermarket shocks leadfoot?
Old 11-27-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wouldn't suggest going so low because you'll be riding on the bump stops, breaking rear passenger spines. with the eibach pro-kit, i had to remove the bumpstop spacers to stay off of the bumpstops, but they still hit on some bumps and that was supposedly just a 1.5in drop at most.

if you manage to cram 4 people into your fbody, the last thing they would complain about is the suspension. i'm sure the rear passengers are going to want you to get where you're going as quick as possible just to get out of there.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

i have a prokit and with me and 2 other people in the car on any bump in the road i hit the top of the tires
Old 11-27-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
thats not bad. there are no speed bumps here.

did you have aftermarket shocks leadfoot?

Yes, the revalved Bilsteins that SLP was selling about 6-7 years ago.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm. the g2s have a spring rate about 100 higher for both the front and the rear. wouldnt rolling the fenders help?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im lowered and rode around with a full car, ride was pretty harsh.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Veteran

hmm. the g2s have a spring rate about 100 higher for both the front and the rear. wouldnt rolling the fenders help?

I doubt it. I would think you'd be on the bumpstops and/or scraping the frame first, assuming you installed an adjustable panhard bar and centered the rear end.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Im on hotchkis springs & have to watch pulling in/out of places or my LT's will scrape.

Watch out for the potholes & speed bumps and you will prob be ok.
I couldnt imagine riding in the back of my car for very long tho.. I think the back seat is there for decoration purposes.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

sheet...i dont care what anyone has to say about this, but there is no f-ing way id let evin my best friends mooch rides off me in my f-body....thats like butt rape with no respect....
Old 11-28-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you even think you are going to have 4 people in the car on a fairly regular basis then a drop that low would not be advisable... not that a drop that low is prefered in general anyway. droping the car about 1-1.5" is the best for handling. If you plan on having people in the car then I would suggest a 1" drop. Hotchkis is a great spring set for 1" drops geared towards hanlding with some ride comfort. Still up to you but those would be the springs I would go with for what you are asking. You will also want a good set of shocks to keep the springs under control.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tpunk
If you even think you are going to have 4 people in the car on a fairly regular basis then a drop that low would not be advisable... not that a drop that low is prefered in general anyway. droping the car about 1-1.5" is the best for handling. If you plan on having people in the car then I would suggest a 1" drop. Hotchkis is a great spring set for 1" drops geared towards hanlding with some ride comfort. Still up to you but those would be the springs I would go with for what you are asking. You will also want a good set of shocks to keep the springs under control.
I would have to agree with that. Seldom, have there been more that 2 people in my car, including myself. 99% of the time, it's just me....
Old 11-28-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ttranssam
sheet...i dont care what anyone has to say about this, but there is no f-ing way id let evin my best friends mooch rides off me in my f-body....thats like butt rape with no respect....
is... there such a thing as butt rape with respect?

they'd pay for gas too so thats not a problem. some people never had their own cars to bring to college in the first place.

idk, im thinking of leaving the suspension the same now. since i want at least an oem ride but dont have the $$$ for shocks. maybe in the summer. i probably would go with ground controls now so i can get the look i want, and then heighten it if need be.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im lowered about 1.25" on stranos/revalved bilstiens. I once had 4 chicks plus me in the car (yes three across the back) and the ride sucked. Entrance/exits of places sucked the most. Luckily I only had to drive a couple miles, and none of them weighed over 115lbs or so
Old 11-29-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would not do it. i have done it and i bottomed out like crazy. i have a 1.5" drop and 18's in the rear, god its the worst noise ever. sends shivers down your neck. i took out my rear seats just so i would never do it again. unless its like 3 chicks. little 16yo's that way as much as me. that is ok with me.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

is... there such a thing as butt rape with respect?

they'd pay for gas too so thats not a problem. some people never had their own cars to bring to college in the first place.

idk, im thinking of leaving the suspension the same now. since i want at least an oem ride but dont have the $$$ for shocks. maybe in the summer. i probably would go with ground controls now so i can get the look i want, and then heighten it if need be.
Yes, it's called a reach around. Stay stock on the springs, get Koni shocks, and Air Lift helper springs. You will have:
1. More comfort all the time
2. WAY better handling all the time
3. the ability to add a few pounds of air to the rear end when you carry folks.

Quick Reply: 4 People in a Lowered Car?