Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension

Old 12-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension

ok guys. I have about a 400lb system in my car. Im needing a good suspension set up to overall handle better, and to support the added weight of the system. I know alot of people will want the system gone, but this car is show/street. So it stays. Just curious of a good package that can make me proud
Old 12-11-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

For the rear a A.R.T. Cooride kit, then run some manual air valves if you don't have room for a airtank & compressor. For shocks koni SAs frt. & rr. and a set of *Eibach LTI frt pro-kit springs. Or some Edelbrock frt. & rr. IAS shocks(the fronts come with springs mounted on them).

And also a adjustable PHB, and LCA (J&M polybal, or any adjustable ones)
and at least some new urathane swaybar bushing Frt.& RR. and end links
And to stiffen up the chasis with all that extra weight a set of 2 point weld-on subframe connectors.
*I have a like new frt set in my garage.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 12-11-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Good shocks are a must to damp the additional mass. And I agree airbags are the right way to go here. But supplemental ones, not a pure air suspension. A rear kit runs about $100 and you have the option to add a compressor in the car for easier adjustment. But it seems to me the stereo is always there, so I think a basic manual kit you get set right will be fine.

As for lowering springs, that's up to you and what ride height you want. This is actually a case where the Edelbrocks are more worthy than normal since he can use the front coil-overs to adjust the height and leave the stock rear springs with the bags in place vs. buying a set of springs. But, the Edelbrocks are not adjustable for damping, and considering this car is an easy 10% heavier than most others (and in the rear which is the lighter end), I think he'd be better off with the ability to adjust the rebound damping to keep that mass settled down to the best extent he can.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the weight of the system is actually more towards the middle of the car. The back seat was taken out and the entire interior was dynamat. The system is fiberglassed in where the seat was. Im looking for something maybe not adjustable. Can i put something back there none adjustable thats just as durable
Old 12-11-2008, 06:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Still it's way more weight than a normal car carries. In fact the maximum weight the car should carry is only a few hundred more than what you ahve just in stereo stuff....

You are wanting something "easy" but have to remember your setup isn't exactly common. You need to parts that will account for the extra mass in your car vs. a more normally loaded car. Just like a heavier car takes longer to stop and go, it also takes more force to stop the suspension from just moving all over un, or underdamped....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: suspension