Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Thinking about putting some money into suspension -- a little clueless.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about putting some money into suspension -- a little clueless.

I have an 02 Z28. It's my daily driver. This spring I was thinking about putting some money into suspension. Can anyone give me a basic run down of what I should get?

I read up and a lot of people mention the Koni SA shocks. They run a good amount of money, but if it's really worth it for a Daily Driver I will pay it.

Anything else?

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Launching!

I have gone through this same thing. It would be helpful to know what modifications you have on the car and what you plan on doing with it. It is just going to be a daily driver? Is it ever going to the drag strip? What about autocross? What you plan on doing with it would help determine what to do to your current suspension.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

springs and shocks. exactly which is always open to discussion. konis are very expensive, and if you really never plan on doing any kind of road racing, you dont need them. you could look into bilstiens, or koni sports, non-adjustable. i think theyre red, not sure. springs, you should always get matched to the shock, for ride height and compression. strano/vogtland springs are good, but expensive, and best suited for racing. that doesnt meant you cant have them on a daily. itll just be a little overkill.

take in consideration your exhaust height and what kind of roads you drive over. my exhaust is very low, and have really shitty roads here. id never get my car lowered if it was a daily driver here. shes a weekender/racer now, and i scrape leaving my garage, let alone driveways/potholes/speedbumps.

if you have bad roads, or hit alot of inclines/driveways/bumps, see what you can do about keeping your ride height, while stiffening up the ride. even new sways with bushings will help some.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks so much for the replies. Probably never going to the drag strip --- maybe once or twice during the time I will have this car.

I won't road race either. I just want a better riding daily driver. I am not picky though, people complain about the ride in f-bodies but I don't mind them. I tend to like rides that are a little more rough than overly quiet and calm.

Mods are very small: Catback, larger SLP Y-pipe for stock manifolds, lid, ported TB.

I plan on getting a tune and maybe LT's this spring summer. I won't be doing anything besides that though.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I have UMI Relocation Brackets, Adjustable Lower Control Arms, Adjustable Panhard Bar, Spohn Torque Arm, Strano springs [ no installed ] and most likely KYB AGX shocks unless I can convince the fiance that I need the Konis

If you just care about traction, relocation brackets, lcas and torque arm....if you want it to handle decently as well shocks, springs and panhard bar...

It really depend on what you want out of the car.....

I think most will agree shocks will make the most difference in ride quality....
Old 12-19-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jigen
Thanks so much for the replies. Probably never going to the drag strip --- maybe once or twice during the time I will have this car.

I won't road race either. I just want a better riding daily driver. I am not picky though, people complain about the ride in f-bodies but I don't mind them. I tend to like rides that are a little more rough than overly quiet and calm.

Mods are very small: Catback, larger SLP Y-pipe for stock manifolds, lid, ported TB.

I plan on getting a tune and maybe LT's this spring summer. I won't be doing anything besides that though.
Thanks for posting the details. Do you think you might ever lower the car? If you do then I strongly recommend koni SA's for that. If your sticking with stock springs then I'd get a set of Strano spec'ed Bilstiens which I think run around 400. But yeah shocks are the best modification to make to start out.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Let me point out something that is becoming overly misunderstood/misinterpretted.

Shocks damp mass and spring rate. They have no idea where they are being driven (autox, street, road course, drag strip...). Those that compete demand the best control, it just so happens that's what the Koni's give. Using them in no way, shape, or form, means you have to race your car to make them worthwhile. In fact I have Koni's on my daily driver (with stock springs and bars--not an f-body though) as well as my Z28 which is my autox car.

Being completely blunt here. If you don't dislike anything about how the car acts or drives, then don't change it. Can you do better? Sure, but it'd be nice to know what you want to improve to be able to give you a more specific recommendation on a type of brand of shock.

Now, the other issue is many don't have much background with these cars. And so when the does anything, folks don't know if it's something they all do or not. That's tougher, but isn't really a factor. If the car does something you don't like (say your rear axle is very nervous and jumpy, or the car is just too vague and you'd like to be better controlled) then tell me those things. Just because a car does something doesn't mean we can't change and improve it.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion Konis are definitely a worthwhile upgrade for a street driven vehicle. They make the car feel so much more composed in all driving environments. The car is easier to handle and predict its behavior. In my opinion it is even more comfortable because it handles bumps with a much smoother and precise feel. In emergency braking situation and swerving (when people cut you off, pull out in front of you etc.) you will notice the Konis. I have had them on about 7 months with stock springs and do not have one complaint or issue with them. I am picky and don’t just jump on the bandwagon with others when it comes to “great” mods.

They are expensive and I had my doubts before buying them, but they are worth it. It you buy them get them from Sam (Strano Performance Parts), he will get you the parts fast and make sure you know everything you need to know including details on installing and adjustments.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There you go... a perfect example of a street car using a premium damper, complete with explanations of why he likes it and how it compares to another setup.

Here's how I see it. Not often in life do you get more than you pay for. There are cheaper shocks (and we sell them too), but there aren't better shocks if the want is the most control over the car and the ride. Good shocks will be on the car a long, long time and are more of an investment you can ammoritize the cost of over years. Yes the initial outlay is higher, but so is the resulting performance and longevity. And a REAL, supported warrant should you have any trouble.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I should have added that I had the stock Decarbons on my 02 SS before I switched to Konis. The car had right around 10,000 easy miles on it before I changed them out for the Konis. So I am not comparing the Konis to a worn out set of shocks that needed replaced due to wear and tear. I just replaced the Decarbons with a far superior shock.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Even better information, and thank you wicknewman for taking the time to add your experience in a detailed fashion.

fwiw, most don't know the SS/WS6 have different deCarbon shocks than the Z28/Formula's do. In fact the valving is better. That doesn't mean great, it means better than standard. The point being that wicknewman is comparing basically the best OEM deCarbon's to have come on a car, and ones that aren't all worn out. That's the kind of information that's importand and helps give perspective.

Thanks again for your insight. And you'll find that 99% of folks who have Koni's will tell you very much the same things about how their cars react, feel and behave.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Thanks so much for the informative replies. Your info is more than I could ask for.

The car wouldn't be lowered. As a daily driver, and dealing with Pennsylvania's horrible roads, I figure lowering the car is a bad idea.

Like wicknewman mentioned, I think I am just looking for an improvement overall in all driving environments.

Sam Strano - you have been incredibly informative. thanks again.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You're more than welcome... If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call me.

There are options and being I sell the other brands of shocks that are common and popular I certainly don't mind disucssing them with you and how they relate to stock and Koni's both.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wicknewman
In my opinion Konis are definitely a worthwhile upgrade for a street driven vehicle. They make the car feel so much more composed in all driving environments. The car is easier to handle and predict its behavior. In my opinion it is even more comfortable because it handles bumps with a much smoother and precise feel. In emergency braking situation and swerving (when people cut you off, pull out in front of you etc.) you will notice the Konis. I have had them on about 7 months with stock springs and do not have one complaint or issue with them. I am picky and don’t just jump on the bandwagon with others when it comes to “great” mods.

They are expensive and I had my doubts before buying them, but they are worth it. It you buy them get them from Sam (Strano Performance Parts), he will get you the parts fast and make sure you know everything you need to know including details on installing and adjustments.
I just want to post to agree with everything he has said here.
I replaced my stock WS6 decarbon's with just under 40,000 miles on them with otherwise stock suspension, and noticed the same results.
Detailed post on my results:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/8131521-post8.html
Old 12-19-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jigen
Thanks so much for the informative replies. Your info is more than I could ask for.

The car wouldn't be lowered. As a daily driver, and dealing with Pennsylvania's horrible roads, I figure lowering the car is a bad idea.

Like wicknewman mentioned, I think I am just looking for an improvement overall in all driving environments.

Sam Strano - you have been incredibly informative. thanks again.
I guess you could say Sam some what knows his stuff about suspension
Old 12-19-2008, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Some quality shocks would be your best bet. As far as stock ride height, there isn't much you can do. If you want a slightly stiffer ride, you could try and find some springs from a car ordered with the 1LE suspension package. Here's some aftermarket shock absorber options to look into.

In order of price/features -

Adjustable:
Koni DA (dual adjustable)
Koni SA (single adjustable)
KYB AGX

Non-adjustable
Koni [Sport?] (haven't seen them myself but I wouldn't doubt that they exist)
Bilstein HD

Last edited by ZexGX; 12-19-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

ZexGX--- Please don't take this as being harsh. The intent here is to simply clear up some problems with your statement, unfortunately that's not always how non-personal forms of communication always comes across...

I next to never recommend Koni DA's, there are two sets of SA's we can use. And all 3 of the above are Koni Sports (and adjustable for damping). At this time there is not a non-adjustable Koni for this car, and if there was they would not be called Sports are the current shocks are all Sport shocks.

And using either set of Koni SA's allows a slight drop in height with stock springs as the front spring perch moves down a bit on those shocks, but not DA's, not AGX's, and not Bilstein (or any other).

Old 12-22-2008, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
ZexGX--- Please don't take this as being harsh. The intent here is to simply clear up some problems with your statement, unfortunately that's not always how non-personal forms of communication always comes across...

I next to never recommend Koni DA's, there are two sets of SA's we can use. And all 3 of the above are Koni Sports (and adjustable for damping). At this time there is not a non-adjustable Koni for this car, and if there was they would not be called Sports are the current shocks are all Sport shocks.

And using either set of Koni SA's allows a slight drop in height with stock springs as the front spring perch moves down a bit on those shocks, but not DA's, not AGX's, and not Bilstein (or any other).
No worries, I am definitely not as well-informed as you in regards to suspension products or recommended setups. Although, I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't want to lower his car, even if stock spring rate was desired. My car is my daily driver as well and even then the air deflector scrapes on most bumps, and the exhaust is about 1" from scraping when being loaded on a flatbed (even after my budget setup - KYB AGX front shocks, Bilstein HD stock height rear - last set I could find with the good valving, and OEM springs). IMO, stock ride height is just fine for daily driving. I hope that he calls you if he has any more questions.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You're more than welcome... If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call me.
There are options and being I sell the other brands of shocks that are common and popular I certainly don't mind disucssing them with you and how they relate to stock and Koni's both.
Sam, JD_AMGs description of the Konis seems a little too good to be true. Will there be that much of a difference? I have a '97 TA WS6 6M that I love I but get really tired of driving it mainly due to the loud exhaust and crashing suspension. My car is just about stock. So I am looking for a free flowing QUIET exhaust and a suspension overhaul. And I want to get rid of a drive line vibration that is very pronounced over 80 mph. I am hoping an aluminum LS1 drive shaft will help. But I also suspect my rebuilt 10 bolt.

What other reasonably priced suspension mods could go along with the Konis? I am looking for a better controlled ride and handling. I do not mind a firm suspension and I might even try some track time as they built a new track, NJMP in Millville, NJ. Looks like fun. I might also try out Atco but I do not want to set up my car for the 1/4 only.

I guess if the Konis are the biggest differentiator it sounds like a good place to start.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

JD's description is not the only one like it. In this thread alone you see wicknewman's findings (pretty much the same). And those guys are not alone, just do some reading you'll find those that have had Koni's and know how to set them up (which I ensure my customers do) all love them. There are some that don't though it's always more than a little vague when trying to find out where they are set and what other parts are in play. That's what happens when you don't buy from a company that really can support the product though information about setup and explain how damping changed effect the car. No part will ever please 100% of the folks out there, but you'd be hard-pressed to find one that has as high approval rating as Koni's, and the rear trick is when you hear from those that have had other shocks as well because they have a better basis for comparison.

The stock shocks are the worst part on the car, I tend to always start there when ride, harshness, response and lack of crisp damping control are the main complaints.... Do you need Koni's? You might well be happy with something lesser, I can't know that without speaking to you by phone. But I can tell you that Koni's are on all my cars.

Quick Reply: Thinking about putting some money into suspension -- a little clueless.