Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what a-arms to go with

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what a-arms to go with

Im gonna be installing a BMR tubluar k member into the car this winter..and am wanting to put some tubular a-arms as well. This cars just a car to race...no cornering or anything like that..so i dont think i'll be needing the adjustables. Whats everyone prefer? OEM calipers and slotted rotors, front coilovers, running front runners.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not what everyone prefers, however if you're going to barely drive it on the street and it will be mostly for drag racing, then the tubular a-arms may suffice.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why are tubular a-arms no good for the street? i was under the impression it was the opposite.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whilst the accounts of failures with aftermarket arms varies here on this forum, from my experience, the stock front LCA's have held up quite okay compared to the majority of aftermarket designs. All of the 5 different brand names I've tried have failed at both the lower shock mounts and the caster rod-ends and these were from the street alone. It should also be noted that the Lower a-arms do indeed have a lot of loads placed on them in hard cornering. Even without the failures, they're a royal PIA when it comes to alignment adjustment and if they have poly, lubrication. When it comes to weight savings, it's nice to have less unsprung weight as much as possible, however...other than the adjustment they did nothing to improve any track times or consistencies at all.

AFA the upper a-arms, the stock uppers are more than adequate for almost all forms of racing as they are more than strong enough for the loads placed on them. I have not seen any aftermarket f-body tubular upper arms that weigh less than the stock (some actually weigh more than a pound).

Again, depends on the application, but I'd like to add these threads:

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=12596
http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...l=a-arms&st=20
http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...0899&hl=a-arms
http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...c=9666&hl=arms

This is sort of a YMMV deal.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 12-24-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool info. thanks foxxtron
Old 12-24-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're welcome.

Just an FYI from my standpoint...I'm never the one who's scared of spending "too much" with modifications. For me, it's more to do with exact re-engineering that I'm concerned about. Whilst I do tend to be a bit partial with a few aftermarket vendors, I base it off of the design and engineering in their parts, not so much from popularity, prestige, and/or sales.

I only replace if it increases performance with a tradeoff that's acceptable for the situation. "saving a few pounds" and "better looking than stock" mean nothing to me unless I can yield a siginificant improvement in the end without compromising too much NVH (for street apps) and safety (in ALL apps).
Old 12-25-2008, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow..this is good info. I was basically looking for a weight savings or something of that sort. IF theres no real need for them..whilst drag racing...why do it? The car does get a little street time on it...nothing hard but still i want the option to drive on the street without the worry of messing up a-arms. The bmr k-member does accept stock a-arms as well.