Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drilled rotors cracked all to Hell. Can this cause the brake to drag?

Old 12-25-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Drilled rotors cracked all to Hell. Can this cause the brake to drag?

Noticed that the front left is dragging very badly. I took the caliper apart and the pistons slide in and out of the bores very freely so I know the problem is not there. Seals appear good too. Caliper slides are greased and slide like butter.

I saw that on my drilled rotors that every outer hole all the way around has cracks. I will be trashing these and will be getting NON drilled rotors this weekend.

Can cracked rotors cause a brake to drag? If not, what do you think aside from a worn hose which I know can cause the problem.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If only one rotor has cracks I'd think the caliper was dragging and heating it up causing the cracks.
I've been told it's quite common for hoses to collapse too.

I'd get rotors, hoses, flush the system. Then see if it still drags or pulls.

And out of curiousity I've done this before, cut the old hoses length wise. This way you can see if it was collapsed or not. If it was you'd have that piece of mind that you solved the problem.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 I Agree that if only one rotor is cracking that means that one is getting much hotter than the others. I'd go with 9000th01ss's advice.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id replaces both rotors, check all the pads, and double check the calipers. might be freezing up on you causing the drag

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drilled rotors cracked all to Hell. Can this cause the brake to drag?