Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

sticking back brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sticking back brakes?

hey guys.. im having some problems with my back brakes.. im not sure what caused it, but i think it may be due to my brakes overheating.

a few months ago my brake light switch somehow got jammed, and it was pushing down on my brake pedal, after about 5 miles i noticed my pedal was getting really hard and it seemed like the car was loosing power, i pulled into a parking lot, and by the time i got in there my brakes were basically stuck on, i was literally doing a burnout in the parking lot trying to move the car

anyways, i fixed the switch, and drove the car home, and everything seemed fine.

my back brakes were making a noise, and i found out that it was rust on the back rotors so after i got the rust off everything seemed fine.

a few days later i got my car inspected and they said my brakes were fine.. a day later i got a high pitched squeal coming from the back, i figured it was a piece of rust that got jammed back there because it quit a mile later, and they told me my back brakes were perfect.

next day i get a horrible grinding noise from the brakes, so i figured i had enough of them, and got all new pads/rotors.. well this is what i see:

but heres the deal, that was on the back side of the rotor, no pad left at all, on the front side of the rotor, the pads looked brand new.. both the driver and passenger side was like that

i knew there had to be something wrong so i greased the "sliders" on the caliper, but im not sure if that did anything.. but every once in a while when i drive, it feels like there is a drag on the car, and sometimes it shakes like a rotor is warped when im not hitting the brakes

so is the piston messed up? both sides went in perfectly fine when i pushed them back in, so they arent frozen or anything.. but what could be the problem?

can i rebuild them, or do i have to get new ones? im not really sure what the problem is here, so i thought you guys might know since only the inside pads were the bad ones

thanks
Old 12-26-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your rear rotors are probably warped, that's the drag and vibration. The pads were just burned off when your brakes were dragging. Turn or replace the rotors. I'd check on the fronts also but you usually feel them whenever you hit the brakes at a good speed.

Vernon