Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Why No Rubber Bushing LCAs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why No Rubber Bushing LCAs?

With all the talk about the various flavors of LCA ends, (rod-rod, rod-poly, poly-poly), and all the issues (binding and/or noise), does anyone make a beefed up version of the LCAs with rubber bushings? I would think high durometer rubber bushings with fluting on the outer edges would be the thing for all but tracked cars. Be even nicer if someone (hint UMI) could just supply this type of bushing for replacement use in all those poly-poly arms that are binding and squeeking..
Old 12-28-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

I just saw that Global West offers just that, rubber-rod. I'm probably going to get some to cut down on the noise with my rod-rod arms. And no I don't work for them, I just looked through their stuff yesterday and found some cool stuff.

Vernon
Old 12-28-2008, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Moog makes 1LE replacement rubber for us, buy it from stranoparts.com
Old 12-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Viper
Moog makes 1LE replacement rubber for us, buy it from stranoparts.com
the Moog /1LE (GM #10164152) ..interesting read https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-question.html

Last edited by ScrapSilicon; 12-28-2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: old data new iteration of part from Moog
Old 12-28-2008, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was a good read!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Teching In

You might want to take a look at the ones from J&M (hotpart.com). I have been running the street versions for several years and they work great. The bushing is a unique non binding poly/poly patent pending 3 piece bushing design.

Good Luck!
Danny
Old 12-28-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
I just saw that Global West offers just that, rubber-rod. I'm probably going to get some to cut down on the noise with my rod-rod arms. And no I don't work for them, I just looked through their stuff yesterday and found some cool stuff.

Vernon
You could also try this: http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=3553

or this: http://www.umiperformance.com/0013

I actually had the complete "homemade" arm in the first link since I had the parts easily sourced at the time. If you already have a control arm with 3/4"-16 threaded bungs on each end, then either one of these threaded bushing cases should suffice (provided the overall length of the arm doesn't exceed 16").

What I can tell you is that even though the durometer of the rubber bushing is quite high, an XM_-12 rod end allows up to 14* misalignment so if those rod ends are used, then there should be minimal bind over the whole control arm altogether. Also, this rubber bushing was actually noticeably more quiet than the rod/poly (QA-1 rods) that I've tried, plus not having as much to grease for the overall vehicle was a plus. I figure they're worth the try than buying the GW arms, which aren't adjustible and are quite heavy.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Very good, I'll try this for sure. Thanks for the link Foxxtron, I'm registered there but haven't seen that before. You just saved me enough to go ahead and get some sub-frame connectors also.

The original link in that post no longer works, here's the current one I just dug up: http://www.lefthanderchassis.com/42.html
Old 12-28-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the updated link to lefthanderchassis catalogue.

just an FYI, they can be sourced from other outlets as well...they're actually this bushing: http://www.howeracing.com/Suspension...erBushings.htm

Now maybe Ryan from UMI could answer this as well since I don't have easy access to the items. Even though I've seen Moog rubber bushings pressed into aftermarket tubular control arms, I wonder if the new threaded bushing from UMI is capable of the same thing? (some have designed their own tubular arms with "stepped" inner sleeve fitment, but I wonder if that's really necessary for an absolute secure fit).
Old 12-29-2008, 07:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic

Vernon
6litereater sells ones that dont make much niose. and sell a set that make no extra noise
Old 12-29-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

We have always offered a rubber bushing in place of the poly bushing, it's just not listed on the site. The pricing is the same.

For what it's worth I have had both poly and rubber lower control arms on my daily driver and the rubber bushing had no effect on the et's at the track(low 12's)
Old 12-29-2008, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jclz28
. Be even nicer if someone (hint UMI) could just supply this type of bushing for replacement use in all those poly-poly arms that are binding and squeeking..
I can't give out any details at this time... but I can say we do have it almost complete
Old 12-29-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Seems like the vendors should just have an "assemble your own LCA" type of thing on their website because everyone wants something different. And this seems to pretty much be the way you can do it.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Banned

^^^^ that is what 6litereater did. took the best of everything. and made a build it your way arm
Old 12-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Teching In

At what point in a race build do the control arms become the weak link? I've heard of people "boxing? them in without a whole lot of power. Is it really necessary?
Old 12-29-2008, 01:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kokomo Tint & Dent
At what point in a race build do the control arms become the weak link? I've heard of people "boxing? them in without a whole lot of power. Is it really necessary?
When a control arm flexes or a bushing deflects it will cause the vehicle to wheel hop... even at low power levels the vehicle will still do this. The control arms are a very inexpensive traction upgrade.

If you have any additional questions please ask. thank you!

Ryan

Quick Reply: Why No Rubber Bushing LCAs?