Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strange shocks/qa1 springs help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange shocks/qa1 springs help

Hey all, I bought a set of new single adj. Strange front shocks and a set of QA1 springs. I have a couple of questions.

1) Im using stock style upper mount, Do the springs set on the shock adjuster? also should the srping fit snug on there are have some sided to side play?

2) I dont think I got the right Springs, they are the same I.D. top and bottom ( I believe 2 1/2"). My stock springs are small at the bottom and big at the top.

Damn I hope I bought the right ****. I know the shocks are right,, just think the springs are coil overs for drag version mounting. Hope this makes sense
Old 01-04-2009, 11:42 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the springs for stock upper mount require a larger od at the top. you have just a set of the standard 2.5"id coil-over springs if that is the case. the shocks will work with those springs, but you need a set of the upper spring perches. this setup is called the "drag race" configuration with the c/o spring. if you want the stock upper spring mounts, then you need the other type spring.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Hey Eric, Ya the guy I bought these from said they will fit stock upper style mount. Well I pulled my stock springs off the shelf and totally different. I think these are the coilover drag version. Does QA1 make a spring for stock style mount or just the drag version.

I wish people would get there **** straight. I sold my Umi torque arm, somehow paypal reversed charges 2 times due to fraud on buyers half, bought rear shocks that were supposed to be Brand NEW and there beat up, shaft dented etc... WTF

EDIT,, I think they are the correct spring. I pulled the suspension apart and the spring DOES fit the stock upper mount and has a little extra room on the lower adjustment.

Last edited by ski23; 01-04-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

Your springs should look like this:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...-1&showValue=1
Old 01-04-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

You could use your stock springs with a set of BMR spring seat adapters.
IMO,this woud be the least exspensive route.
Scroll down to the middle of the page they're in red; right below the Strange shocks
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm
Old 01-04-2009, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Well I got the shocks torn apart, springs off old shock and test fitted the QA1 spring to the Strange shocks and they look correct. So basically the top side of the spring Does fit the stock style upper mount and the bottom fits on the adjustment nut. Do I need to put anything between the bottom of the spring and the adjuster?

What way is **** suppose to face? face outward or inward? sorry for the pidly questions but im a suspension newb.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ski23
Well I got the shocks torn apart, springs off old shock and test fitted the QA1 spring to the Strange shocks and they look correct. So basically the top side of the spring Does fit the stock style upper mount and the bottom fits on the adjustment nut. Do I need to put anything between the bottom of the spring and the adjuster?

What way is **** suppose to face? face outward or inward? sorry for the pidly questions but im a suspension newb.
I would face the **** in, that way you can get the best access to the ****, with the car at ride height! At least that's how I did it with my QA1 DAs I had before.

If the springs you have are tappered at the top and bottom exactly like in the link I posted, you're good to go!
Did you shocks come with any thin metal lower spring seat washers, if not I would get some(2ea), or a (1ea)thrust bearing kit.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...OrderCalculate
Old 01-04-2009, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

Well I got all back together. I set the **** faceing inward thinking I would be able to turn wheel and reach under there to adjust. Wish I could test drive it but, no rearend yet.Yes the springs are tapered like the pic. The springs did not come with any washers and I did not get a thrust kit. Im going to adjust them to my liking and be done with it. I wish Strange would have sent me some stickers. Im a sticker junky and my toolbox has some bare places on it.

I didnt touch the adjustment **** yet,, any suggestions? how many clicks and what way?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

NO STICKERS!

Now that's sucks!

I'm the same way, always looking for a new sticker to slap on the tool box.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya, the smaller srpings work you should have gotten a alum upper pearch witjh the shocks. I have a singal adj strange fornts The drag style, and Mine had this nice alum uppper perch for the smaller aftermarket springs. Its has a slot soe its like 7/8th round to slip over the shock ram.
But you can also use a stock sized coil, and put it in the stock upper mount, The lower you can get the BMR perch, or just use the stock like I did. It taps off the stock shock body. But its for like a 2inch shock. So you cut the buttem off it odd about 1.2 way on the 45 traper part, And sqare up the ID so its a 2.5 hole I think it was, to fit over the starange shock body. I didnt get the bearing kit at 1st and added it later. If your good with a cutoff wheel and a die grinder its easy. Not fre handing stuff like this and making it sqare, get the BMR cups. You have to drill/slot the shock lower holes to the contraol arms too. Unless you have the PA, and the AJE I think style that has the horzintal lower bolts.
looks like this when your done.

And I put my ***** facing in, and can reach them easy. Just lay on your back along the front wheel, and reach in the front around to the shocks.
Almost pop wheelies from slow rolls on the street
Old 01-05-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

theres some pics of the small body aftermarket spring pearch here
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ge-shocks.html

Quick Reply: Strange shocks/qa1 springs help