Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Rear sway bar killing bushings

Ok, here is my rear suspension setup:
-12-bolt
-Stock Springs
-KYB Adjustable Shocks (set a 4/8 on the street, 2/8 on the track)
-UMI adjustable TA with body relocation mount
-UMI Tubular panhard bar and lca's
-Spohn 23mm chromoly rear bar
-Poly bushings on everything

Here's the problem: I'm using stock length end links and the passenger side keeps pushing the bushing right on top of the sway bar out. I know it's kinda confusing as to which one I'm talking about, I'll try to get a pic. This is only happening on the driver's side. The car doesn't go to the track that often, but I do get on it pretty hard sometimes. Do I need different length end links? Are the bushings the problem?

Any help would be much appreciated
Old 01-05-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo98z
I'm using stock length end links and the passenger side keeps pushing the bushing right on top of the sway bar out. I know it's kinda confusing as to which one I'm talking about, I'll try to get a pic. This is only happening on the driver's side.
That is confusing.

Vernon
Old 01-05-2009, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Since you stated an aftermarket rear. Im guessing the mounts on the rear are not on correct causing a huge preload causing this to happen. Or the sway bar isnt centered proprly.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tillery
Since you stated an aftermarket rear. Im guessing the mounts on the rear are not on correct causing a huge preload causing this to happen. Or the sway bar isnt centered proprly.
The mounts that are on there are the ones spohn provides for a 12-bolt with 3" axle tubes. (I don't remember the size, but I remember measuring it when I ordered).

As far as centering the sway bar, I had the car on level ground when I put the bar in and used a level to check that both end-links were vertical. I'm thinking it's an end link length issue.

I think I'm going to call Spohn tomorrow
Old 01-06-2009, 08:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tillery
I agree, I think its the mounts the the rear end. What brand is it? I know on my S60 the sway bar mounts are in angle putting a lot of pressure on the end links and actually bending them.... I am going to try longer ones as well. I am not sure if all Strange rear ends are like this or just the last one we received?
Old 01-06-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The rear is a moser, which comes without mounts for the sway bar. When I bought the sway bar from Spohn, I also bought their mounts designed to be used for that axle, and I tack welded them in place aligned per spohn's instructions. I checked the welds and they're all fine.

The more I look at it, the more it looks like the links aren't the right length, which would make sense since the axle tube is bigger than stock, and the sway bar (where the hole is for the end link) is not parallel to the body when the sway bar is attached.

Last edited by jimbo98z; 01-06-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

Even on the stock rear it seems the links are too long so a larger diameter axle tube it would be even worse. I've recently noticed that at full suspension compression my 21mm rear anti-sway bar is lightly striking the performance aluminum differential cover dead center. Check yours in this spot to see if it's jamming up also. I'm planning on shortening the end links from 2 3/8" to 2" in order to increase the distance from diff to bar center. This would make the rear bar more parrallel to the ground and frame also with the end links being closer to 90*. My bump stops are pretty well worn off so I just picked up a set of those to install to reduce this also.

Vernon