Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just got my new DKT LCA's!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking Just got my new DKT LCA's!

Man, these lca's are beefy, .25" tubing, and easy to rebuild JonnyJoints!
Even with the .25" wall tubing they're still a little lighter than my old G.W. lca's. :yes:
The normal tubing thickness is .12", but I wanted a little more beef!

Here's a comparison with my worn out G.W. LCAs

Old 01-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad ***. They look great.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Yeah, they look sweet!
Hopefully If the weather permits, I'll get them installed in the next couple of days.

By the way, Would using Mobil synthetic grease be fine?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Banned

yeah. wouldn't see why not. see if it repeals water.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice
Old 01-06-2009, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Those look like really nice pieces. Would you be kind enough to take a moment to discuss the construction (and the noise produced) by the "JonnyJoints" as compared with poly ends and rod ends?

I am trying to quiet my rear suspension down and amhighly considering replacing my rod ended stuff with poly stuff, but this may be another option. Thank you
Old 01-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Banned

6Litereater is selling these on this forum.

also sorry but like if you have spohn or UMI or bmr rod/rod you can't just witch over. the JJ is alot bigger then the normal rod end. so it takes a small tube. just get ahold of 6litereater. tell him bigbird sent you and that he can help you out.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by entewoh
Those look like really nice pieces. Would you be kind enough to take a moment to discuss the construction (and the noise produced) by the "JonnyJoints" as compared with poly ends and rod ends?

I am trying to quiet my rear suspension down and amhighly considering replacing my rod ended stuff with poly stuff, but this may be another option. Thank you
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...nnyjoints.aspx

IMO, this is a great option if you want great articulation, quiet operation, and low cost rebuilds you can easily do yourself.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

UMI was supposed to release something similar to the Jonny Joint but I dont think they are anymore. Please let us know how it performs, I want the stiffness of a Rod end but without the extra nosie you get with them.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SS DNA
I want the stiffness of a Rod end but without the extra nosie you get with them.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that you will get the same level of stiffness as rod ends with these joints as they still reside inside poly. What you will get though is the articulation. For racing applications that want the least amount of deflection, rod ends are still the ticket.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Banned

^ ^ ^ ^ if that was the case BMR extreme LCA would not be made out of poly.

call bmr and ask how much et is different between rod end and poly. they have done alot of r&D about that.

also the best thing of the jj. is easy to rebuild. DKT does it for cheap.
great ride.
great track
great wear(most last two to three years)
cheap rebuild compared to rod end. (new qa1 chromoly rod ends $40 each. or $8 to re build jj. you do the math)

seriously i don't think you could get anything better. and these are made it steel (light and heavy wall), chromoly, alumium, and titanuim.

ALL Around Best **** out there.

and you can get these form 6litereater. he has GP going on right now
Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

I agree with you that these look great for all around applications wanting the articulation but not wanting to deal with the nature of rod ends. For the majority of us and our applications, I agree, there may not be anything else that fits the bill as well as these do.

But my take on the BMR Xtreme arms is that they are for those guys who still want a streetable bulletproof (overkill) adjustable control arm. BMR still calls their rod ended control arms "race". At the end of the day, I just do not believe that these ends are going to give less (or equal) deflection (however miniscule) than a rod end. Just my opinion of course, but until time proves otherwise, the majority of serious race applications (and serious chassis/suspension shops) always have and always will go with rod ends.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:02 AM
Banned

^ ^ ^ i agree with you that most will and always will use rod ends. i was just stating that BMR has seen very very little difference in et with rod or poly ends
Old 01-07-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Those GW arms that the OP replaced look like they weigh a ton.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
^ ^ ^ i agree with you that most will and always will use rod ends. i was just stating that BMR has seen very very little difference in et with rod or poly ends
I agree. As always, everything depends on the application and level of performance.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

The only reason I've ever used rod-ends is for articulation, it's really nice to have more options now!
IMO, for the majority of us the level of stiffness between the JJs and rod-ends will never make any difference.

Does anybody think this might be a good option for aftermarket front lower A arms?

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 01-07-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just what we needed. More f body control arms.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Banned

^ ^ ^ lol. but these are bad ***. it is something new to the market. no one does this. everyone else has the same old ****. you see the same thing on BMR and Spohn And UMI website. nothing new.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Ok so this is what I think I know about these new JJ's...

-Looks like they will allow free movement of the axle with no bind
-Appears that they will dampen noise better than all rod ends

As far as I know a rod/poly will also accomplish the same thing. Here's where I'm not convinced yet:

-That they won't increase weight over other arms
-2-3 years stated above I wouldn't consider as long lasting before needing rebuilding

Not saying that they aren't a great piece... they probably are. Though I'm going to need more convincing before I go run out and buy these other than "Dude, these JJ ends are just better than all other arms because they're new and they're like awesome dude".
Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Banned

bryan,

wieght, well your street cars. strenght and long lasting is more important then weight. i will say that these do weight more then a strandard rod/rod or a poly poly. but i know they weight less then a BMR poly poly LCA. (also 99bluz28 got a heavy duty style. he wanted 1/4 wall. the normal arms are 3/16 wall) and if weight and strength are the big things your want. get the titanium set.

2-3 years isn't long enough? have you ever owned normal rod ends? i have knowed shitty qa1, good qa1, great qa1, great aura, lets just say ALOT. and most laasted 6 to 12 months. and i street drive my car. and no gravel for my car either.

so lets do a normal story here. you buy Spohn or BMR or UMI rod/rod style. and lets go with the long lasting ones. after 12 months you have to buy new rod ends. retail is $40 per rod. that $160 (4X$40) every 12 months. and after two years of this you have just spent $320 for rod. and you know you will spend $160 again next year.

now you buy these JJ set up from 6Litereater. and lets go with the low end. (2 years) now after 2 years and they wear out. you spend 8 dollars per JJ to fix total of $32(4X$8)

now you do the math
=
288 savings. every two years. hell sound like the JJ does better then geiko. JJ saves you 90% every two years. hell. sound good to me.

Bryan, think what you want. do what you want. they arent for everyone. but the common man/woman that likes to save money. these things Rock "DUDE"

Quick Reply: Just got my new DKT LCA's!