Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Aftermarket Stock Spring Height?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stock Spring Height?

Three quick questions after what I consider sufficient research.

Why are there no aftermarket stock height springs?

Do the springs never ever begin to sag or lose performance, so they never need to be changed?

My uneducated assumption is that a better performing stock height spring can be created, or is that just an ignorant statement?

Thanks for the answers in advance.

FYI, I want to keep my car until I die, but I do not want my car lowered forever.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the whole point of aftermarket parts is to make the car the way it was supposed to be when it came out, only the manufacturers couldnt do it due to regulations, and because not everyone has the same tastes.

the main purpose is performance when you talk about springs (although not all of them are a gain) because you lower the center of gravity and make things stiffer. make sure you get some good shocks when you put springs on, they are more important than the springs.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

I guess because the stock springs have pretty good rates for the height. The performance issue with a stock suspension is related to the shocks. With good shocks on stock springs, you can make the car handle better. Not optimal but a lot better
Old 01-06-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by romulo13
Three quick questions after what I consider sufficient research.

Why are there no aftermarket stock height springs?

Do the springs never ever begin to sag or lose performance, so they never need to be changed?

My uneducated assumption is that a better performing stock height spring can be created, or is that just an ignorant statement?

Thanks for the answers in advance.

FYI, I want to keep my car until I die, but I do not want my car lowered forever.
Yeah, I'm guessing you want the handling performance gain without the ride harshness the eibach springs are giving, correct?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the stock springs and swap your shocks w/ KONIS (s/a). That's what I'll be doing with mine.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Yes, I am sure I will be swapping back to my stock springs in the future, but they are rusty looking and not very attractive. Lets consider someone who puts 150K miles on their stock car. They love their stock car. So they do an engine rebuild, fix the interior tears, and swap out the worn out shocks. Won't the stock springs be sagging and require new springs for a better feel, or do they just never wear out? Maybe there is just not a market for it, can't they make them stock height but lighter? I guess my absolute question is, why is no one making a stock height shock, slapping their name on it and charging less than the dealer? Maybe they can make it lighter or more attractive or something. Everytime I look at the for sale sections, someone wants to swap a lowered spring for some stock springs.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by romulo13
Yes, I am sure I will be swapping back to my stock springs in the future, but they are rusty looking and not very attractive.
You can't see them unless you are under the car, so whats the big deal? If its that bad just try and remove the rust and repaint them.

Lets consider someone who puts 150K miles on their stock car. They love their stock car. So they do an engine rebuild, fix the interior tears, and swap out the worn out shocks. Won't the stock springs be sagging and require new springs for a better feel, or do they just never wear out?
150K miles on stock springs might put some wear on them, talk to some of the suspension experts on here or on FRRAX they should know.

Maybe there is just not a market for it, can't they make them stock height but lighter?
Sure, but it will probably be close to $300, and for that money I think most people rather benefit from a better handling lowering spring.

I guess my absolute question is, why is no one making a stock height spring, slapping their name on it and charging less than the dealer?
How much are dealers charging(and how exactly are they even getting the spring for a car that isn't produced anymore)?

Everytime I look at the for sale sections, someone wants to swap a lowered spring for some stock springs.
And I'd bet money they are looking for stock springs because either:
1.) They bought lowering springs without searching, paired them with the stock shocks and now the car drives and rides like crap, or
2.) They are lowered but want to be raised back up for dragracing
Both of these situations can be fixed without stock springs.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stock Spring Height?