Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS inop and ETS off

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS inop and ASR off

I have searched but I havnt seen this exact problem mentioned.

when i first start up, no lights. once i hit somewhere around 70 mph i get the ABS inop and ETS off lights. they stay on until the engine is shut down. once i restart the engine, the lights are on, but go off after i start to drive (maybe 5mph).

BTW its an 01 auto Z28.

anyone know what it is? ive ruled out abs system or ets system mainly becaue both lights come on. im wondering if its a speed sensor of some sort or something on the rear end. i know theres a plug on the rear diff that if you unplug it both of these lights goes on, it happened once before, but when that happened they just stayed on until i plugged this thing in again.

Last edited by whitez2801; 01-07-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

I can't find anything that explains what ETS is in the acronyms list on tech, the acronyms list on Mitchell ondemand, and Idetifix. Are you sure that's what it says?

Have the ABS codes scanned with the light on, that will tell you what you need to know.

Vernon
Old 01-07-2009, 11:54 AM

oops im sorry, i meant ASR.

so ABS and traction control are off.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:31 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had it happen to me before, specifically if I get wheel hop or 'push through' the traction control, i.e. I keep my foot in it while the traction control goes off.

Check the wheel speed sensors, especially the rears if you have had the car on a dyno or towed. A lot of times the sensor can get disconnected and it will cause those symptoms.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Regular

It's likely a wheel speed sensor loosing resolution at higher speeds. Without a code you're just guessing as to which one or what it actually is. Also the ABS and ASR are basically the same system. Think of it as a system that tries to prevent your tires from slipping from to much torque, brake torque or engine torque, doesn't matter. The only real reason you have two lights is so when one comes on you know your skidding or spinning (in case you have time to scan in instruments in either situation LOL). If there's ever a problem with the system both lights usually come on if not always. Oh, and you can turn the ASR off, another reason for a separate light.

Vernon