Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I Don't Think my car has bumpstops!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I Don't Think my car has bumpstops!

Alright guys, it finally dawned on me..

When i bought my car in June, it had QA1 drag racing coil overs. Whenever i'd hit a bad bump, the back would slam, bad. Few months ago I changed everything over completely, put in KYB shocks and Eibach LT1 kit lowering springs... The back still bottomed out. I had no idea what to do, but I knew I didn't want to kill my car. So I installed rear Air shocks to lift the car away.
I was thinking about it.. Is it possible that the bumpstops were removed because they couldn't fit with the coil over system?
If I were to lay under my car would I be able to see them? I don't know where they would be, what they look like, or anything.. So any help would be great.

Thanks everyone
Old 01-10-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Look for a big chunk of rubber sitting right next to each back tire under the frame. Here's a pic of one from this site. He is shoiwing how to modify the bumpstops to clear wider tires. http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/96ss/11inchzr1.htm

Old 01-11-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Fwiw, it doesn't have to be done that way with the bumpstop spacer. This is for the case of people that read this that may not know. Most reading probably know the implications. This shortens suspension travel too much. Shortened suspension travel I believe leads to worse ride quality as well as handling.

Other things can be done to fit the wheels. Correct offsets, BFH mod, rolled fenders, spacers, etc. Some poeple trim the bumpstop mounts or bumpstops on the side, but I didn't want to do that, and didn't need to. I did BFH, rolled fenders, and a 3/16 inch spacer. I also did longer ARP wheel studs.

If doing it over again, I'd probably consider looking for a better offset set of wheels to avoid the need for spacers.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

The bumpstop is the piece right in the middle between the shock and spring, right?
I hope I can see there from looking under my car
Old 01-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

"Whenever i'd hit a bad bump, the back would slam, bad. Few months ago I changed everything over completely, put in KYB shocks and Eibach LT1 kit lowering springs..."

Do you know if the car has sportline or pro kit Eibach springs? The reason I ask is my 93 had sportline springs and the car was constantly slamming into the bump stops and it drove me nuts.

Take it easy
Brewski
Old 01-11-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

If you need new ones the GM part# is 10164173. I just replaced mine last Thursday because they were worn down almost to the bracket. GM is proud of their crappy lump of plastic, it set me back over $50 for the pair wholesale.

Vernon
Old 01-11-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Here, maybe this will be more clearer. X marks the spot. You can see them laying under the car....if they are there. If you take the tires off. they slap you in the face.

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
The bumpstop is the piece right in the middle between the shock and spring, right?
I hope I can see there from looking under my car
Attached Thumbnails I Don't Think my car has bumpstops!-zr39.jpg  
Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Here, maybe this will be more clearer. X marks the spot. You can see them laying under the car....if they are there. If you take the tires off. they slap you in the face.
ROFL. Thank you. Thanks for the part number too. I have the Eibach pro kit by the way, but that's not the problem.. I'm almost positive i dont have bump stops due to the previous coil over kit. So if I bought a pair could I just take the tires off and bolt these in or what?

Also on this page, someone installed spacers to make them reach farther I guess?
http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=23
I should be good with just the OEM bumpers correct?

Thanks again
Old 01-12-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

If you have the bolts yeah, the threaded holes will probably still be in your car. If the bolts are gone you could snag some from a salvage yard or have the dealer order you four. I don't have a part number for those. Use blue locktite and torque them to about 20 ft./lbs.

Vernon
Old 01-12-2009, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Thank you sir
Old 01-12-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, the aluminum spacers were installed from the factory on the WS6 and SS cars and used a shorter stiffer bumpstop for the 17" rims. The spacers aren't needed and the better bumpstops are the longer softer ones from a Z28. Manic Mechanic posted the part number for the good bumpstops.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Or you can use a set of these if you cut the lip off between the 2 mount nuts.
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=9.9137

These are 5/8 " shorter than the factory bumpstops, cost a lot less, but they're noticeably stiffer.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Or you can use a set of these if you cut the lip off between the 2 mount nuts.
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=9.9137

These are 5/8 " shorter than the factory bumpstops, cost a lot less, but they're noticeably stiffer.
And stiffer isn't really ideal for ride quality and easing the car into the full suspension travel. Less likely for the tires to snap loose in the rear in more extreme driving conditions. I'd recommend sticking with the stock z28 bumpstops. They aren't that much more money, and you don't have to cut pieces off the car.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Just a option thats better than no bumpstops at all.

Quick Reply: I Don't Think my car has bumpstops!