Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New torque arm install now have a vibration!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New torque arm install now have a vibration!

Well I just installed my new Spohn TA, put everything in and got the suspension under load and adjusted the torque arm. I used the video on BMR's website to find out how to set it up. I had a few problems but finally set everything at zero, couldn't get it to the -2 that they got on the website but was happy that I finally got it in. Well the vibration starts at 65ish and disappears at 80-90ish. I thought that it could be attributed to the cam that I have installed because the vibration disappears if at the same speed if I downshift to 5th. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will get some pics up of the angles of the DS and the TA as well if needed.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

pinion angle is jacked up i would say.......either way, if you didnt have vibrations before the install then it would be the adj t.a
Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed an adj. torque arm, as well as a couple of other new parts, while I had the car on "winter hiatus" several years ago. After I brought the car out in the spring, I had a slight, but annoying vibration, that wasn't there before.

Long story short, I chased that $$%%^^$! vibration for two summers, until I watched the BMI torque arm installation video, and re-set the pinion angle for about the 10th time. Suddenly, the vibration was gone.

I thought I knew what I was doing, with respect to the pinion angle, but I was wrong. Watch the vid, follow the vid, and you should be in business....
Old 01-12-2009, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I installed an adj. torque arm, as well as a couple of other new parts, while I had the car on "winter hiatus" several years ago. After I brought the car out in the spring, I had a slight, but annoying vibration, that wasn't there before.

Long story short, I chased that $$%%^^$! vibration for two summers, until I watched the BMI torque arm installation video, and re-set the pinion angle for about the 10th time. Suddenly, the vibration was gone.

I thought I knew what I was doing, with respect to the pinion angle, but I was wrong. Watch the vid, follow the vid, and you should be in business....
Was your vibration through out the entire range of gears or just in certain areas?? Also how did you get the car at ride heighth and keep the suspension underload? I took the angle finder and measured the car as it sits in the garage then used jacks and ramps to reset it at that angle...
Old 01-12-2009, 01:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdBULLITT
Was your vibration through out the entire range of gears or just in certain areas?? Also how did you get the car at ride heighth and keep the suspension underload? I took the angle finder and measured the car as it sits in the garage then used jacks and ramps to reset it at that angle...

You can support the rear end with jack stands and have the front sitting on car ramps. Make sure that you have the car level. If you have any questions please give me a call.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
You can support the rear end with jack stands and have the front sitting on car ramps. Make sure that you have the car level. If you have any questions please give me a call.
Thank you dennis I will prob. give you a call then because I'm all out of ideas. When you say make sure the car is level, do you mean level as in the way it sits on the ground? I took my angle finder and found that the car sat at a -2 on the ground so I used a jack and the ramps and sat it back at -2. Any ideas?? Plus my rear isnt vibrating all the way threw the gears its just at 60-70ish in 6th.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

if it is at -2 move it to -1 and see
Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My vibration was pretty consistent throughout the speed range. Now, with respect to getting the car high enough to work under, for this adjustment. We all do things that might be considered risky, so follow your conscience on this one....

For a LONG time, if I've needed to get the car off the ground, but reasonably level, I've used concrete patio blocks. Yes, I fully understand that they CAN be fragile, especially if you toss them around or drop them. However, if you're careful with them, and set your car down on them somewhat gently, they are pretty stable. For setting my pinion angle, I had two blocks under each wheel, which got the car level, and about 6-7 inches off the floor.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Thank you dennis I will prob. give you a call then because I'm all out of ideas. When you say make sure the car is level, do you mean level as in the way it sits on the ground? I took my angle finder and found that the car sat at a -2 on the ground so I used a jack and the ramps and sat it back at -2. Any ideas?? Plus my rear isnt vibrating all the way threw the gears its just at 60-70ish in 6th.
Does your car vibrate in 5 gear at that same mile an hour? Give me a call if you get a chance.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm stunned at BMR's willingness to help you troubleshoot what looks like a Spohn installation...

This a tranny mounted or tunnel mounted? If it's tunnel mounted, you may not be able to get rid of this vibration completely.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I don't mind helping out.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-13-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Best pinion angle method I have found is:

1 get a digital angle finder (link below)

2 get car up on stands and ramps (doesn't really matter if car is perfectly level front to back)

3 pull drive shaft (it is a pain but I trust this better than measuring d/s)

4 attach magnetic angle finder to end of trans output shaft and zero the angle finder

5 attach angle finder to tip of the pinion shaft

6 adjust torque arm til finder reads zero (pinion and trans shaft angle are now parallel)

7 adjust torque arm so pinion pivots down and stop at -2* or wherever you need

I gave up on the big dial finder because it is difficult to read accurately and personally, using it with BMR's method, I never felt positive about my results. There are many ways to get this done. This just works for me and take for what it's worth.

http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...LAID=282681543

Good luck!!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

sorry to bump this thread but instead of posting a new thread ill ask in here.

i need a solid answer-------should i ditch the spohn and go with something else, or do i need a different front mount bushing or poly end and a different pinion angle?

i get what feels like gear whine on the highway and its annoying and the clunk makes everyone that rides in it uncomfotable.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeangreenHD
sorry to bump this thread but instead of posting a new thread ill ask in here.

i need a solid answer-------should i ditch the spohn and go with something else, or do i need a different front mount bushing or poly end and a different pinion angle?

i get what feels like gear whine on the highway and its annoying and the clunk makes everyone that rides in it uncomfotable.

From what others have told me is the clunk is from the swivel at the head of the torque arm..... Mine also has increased gear whine and I will be switching to bmr before to long. Needless to say I tried everything and it still vibrates a little at cruising speed so I'm selling mine soon.

When I set mine up the shop said the driveshaft and the rear had to be in line, thus the reason it was vibrating was because the rear was turned down. They said the rear should be turn up if anything to keep the driveline in a straight line. Any more help would be greatly appreciated. In the attachment I tried to show what they were saying was going on

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Quote:

Does your car vibrate in 5 gear at that same mile an hour? Give me a call if you get a chance.
I tried giving you a call about it but heard you were out for the week. I will call you agian if you think it will help, I have completely givin up.
Attached Thumbnails New torque arm install now have a vibration!-rearend-first.jpg  

Quick Reply: New torque arm install now have a vibration!