Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

01 Camaro Frozen Caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Camaro Frozen Caliper?

Hello:

I am new to this forum and hope this is the correct place for my question. I am in the process of replacing both front brake pads. I removed the old calipers and pads without problem. Now when I try and push the piston back in the caliper with a large C clamp the piston won't budge. I even tried putting a lever bar on the C clamp without success. The brake pistons are fully extended.

Am I doing something wrong or is there something else I should be doing to get the pistons to retract? I am ready to give up and buy new or rebuilt calipers so I can finish the job. What do you guys think?

Regards
Beertracker
Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

You need to pull out the caliper pins. One of them is frozen in place. Mine was exactly the same way and it was a PITA to get out. Took about 35-40 minutes to get the pin out and then regrease it and put it back in. Wasnt fun at all.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Teching In

I think it's a different problem. I already dismantled the caliper and the caliper pins are coated in grease.

BT
Old 01-11-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How do the rubber boots look around the piston? If they are in pretty rough shape, it probably needs calipers. I just did my girlfriends car not long ago, and it has those self adjusting rear brakes that have the pistons that have to spin as you push them in. The boot was in really shitt shape and the piston was all the way out. I got it to go back in, but got it all assembled and back together, took it for a drive, and came back, and the rotor was beet red cause it didnt release properly. I say you have to either rebuild the calipers, or get new ones. Otherwise you are going to have a hell of a time with it down the road.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Teching In

The rubber boots around the caliper pins look fine and there is plenty of grease on the caliper pins. I guess I will replace the calipers with rebuilt ones.

BT
Old 01-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Teching In

The rubber boots around the pistons look fine. You mentioned rotating the piston in order to get it to retract while pressing in for rear self adjusting disk brakes. Does this apply to a 01 Camaro rear disk brake also?

BT
Old 01-11-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beertracker
The rubber boots around the pistons look fine. You mentioned rotating the piston in order to get it to retract while pressing in for rear self adjusting disk brakes. Does this apply to a 01 Camaro rear disk brake also?

BT
Guys, this does not sound like a pin problem at ALL. If ur having problems retracting your piston in for new pads, probably time for some new calipers. Is shouldnt take to much effort with a c-clamp to get them to retract. Hope this helps
Old 01-11-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

just get a new/rebuilt caliper. should be under $30 each.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i do not think the camaro rears are like this, but i am not sure because i havent replaced my rears yet. But i really hope they are not this style, because every car i have had with them, i have had to replace the calipers because they freeze up.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Know anyone with a torch? Mine were exactly the same, so we torched the side of the caliper while trying to pull the slide out. It came out after about 10 min. Regrease it, put it back in, done.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Both the front and rear caliper pistons move in and out freely (not like on cars that the rears need to be "screwed" back in). This is due to the parking brake on the rear using a mini drum brake under the disc hat...

But this is not related to that type of problem. Is this happening on both sides or just one? Its extremely unlikely that both calipers have two sticking pistons.

When you are trying to push the pistons back in the calipers are they moving at all? Do you have the cap on the master cylinder still in place? If you (or somebody else) topped off the master cylinder with brake fluid then there may not be enough volume in the cylinder to fit all the "extra" brake fluid that will be displaced when you try to compress the pistons back into the calipers. If the cap is in place and the master cylinder is full of fluid then the pistons aren't going to move.

If that is the case then rebuilt calipers will fix the problem... because when you break open the brake lines to install the calipers and lose fluid everything will seem fine when you put it all back together and add fluid to bleed the brakes.

Try taking the cap off the master cylinder THEN try compressing the pistons with the c-clamp. This should release the pressure holding the pistons from moving back in... at the very least try this before you spend the money AND time to replace the calipers.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Teching In

I was able to get the piston to retract into place. All I did was remove the brake line, remove the C clamp and press the piston in using my thumbs. Either the C clamp was causing the piston to bind or there wasn't any where for the brake fluid to release pressure since the master cylinder cap was installed and I just filled the master cylinder. Well, the job is complete and thanks to all who responded.

BT

Quick Reply: 01 Camaro Frozen Caliper?