Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

NEED ADVISE on Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED ADVISE on Suspension?

I purchased some front Koni S/A shocks and ground control kit with 550 lbs springs a few months ago I only wanted the shocks but the person I bought the kit from would not sell it seperately. So I whant to know if the set up is to extreme for a DD bird that sees the track once in a while? I have only had experience with the pro kit which I don't care much for either.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

HELP i know some ones gotta have some input in this decision cause I know ther es a lot of knowledageble members
Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

I had a hard time being able to tell the difference between the lt1 pro-kit front springs and the Eibach ERS 550 springs, you've got nothing to worry about!

This is the same spring rate that Strano uses for his front lowering springs!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Same rate, but that's not the whole deal, it doesn't take into account the ride height and working travel vs. the rate. And as much as I hate to say it, you find the majority of broken Koni's on cars that have adjustable coil-overs from folks running them too low and that can break the shock.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you didn't like the pro kit you might not like the koni setup , pro kit is pretty mild compared to some hardcore kits out there. I mean they are the same rate.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

You lost me madmo

Pro-kits aren't the best springs out there, far from it. While the rate is 'pretty mild', that's part of problem. They aren't actually firm enough to properly counter the amount of drop we get.

Further, Koni themselves does not make springs for this car, just shocks so I'm not sure how you can draw a comparison. What exactly are the "same rate"?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JRSSTOY
I purchased some front Koni S/A shocks and ground control kit with 550 lbs springs a few months ago I only wanted the shocks but the person I bought the kit from would not sell it seperately. So I whant to know if the set up is to extreme for a DD bird that sees the track once in a while? I have only had experience with the pro kit which I don't care much for either.
I should of asks this first: Which Pro-kit are you talking about; LT1 or LS1?
There's a big difference in the spring rate up front!
LT1 Pro-kit 377-600 lbs./in.
LS1 Pro-kit 400 lbs./in.

Also what amount of drop are you wanting?
Mild <1".
Normal 1.2" to 1.4".
Slam > 1.6".
Old 01-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

First of all guys thanks for your input, I have only had the LS1 prokit on a 98 SS that rode pretty rough but with the help of some revalved blisteins from Strano that really made a diffence. As far the drop height I felt the pro kit was fine.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

So what do u guys think, I dont want to pay for installation only to be dissapointed by these springs. I got stock spring in the back with the hose mod and Koni's and that is perfect for the rear in my opinion.

Quick Reply: NEED ADVISE on Suspension?