Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hawk Difference in Quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hawk Difference in Quality

What is the difference in quality between Hawk ceramic pads and HPS pads? Granted I want the one with the least amount of brake dust possible. Also what sponsors on here sell drilled/slotted rotors for decent prices and what rotor is preferred on Fbodies? Thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 05:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Quality is the same, but excellent. The difference lies in the power and the dust. HPS's have a bit more bite, Ceramics are cleaner but a little less powerful (still better than parts store junk).

Rotors: Be careful. There are a lot of cheap rotors that are then drilled or slotted.... I only have one set of relatively inexpensive set of rotors on my site. And they are blanks, because when you start drilling and slotting rotors they get weaker, and cheap ones aren't very good to start with anyway. And rest assured $150 a set rotors that are drilled and slotted are extremely cheap rotors.

In fact I don't recommend drilled rotors at all. If you insist on a rotor that has something done, then I only use the ATE PremiumOne Rotors. ATE is a name you can count on. They are German and make most all of the OE rotors and hydraulics for the German car companies (and we know how bad their brakes are... ).

I also offer packages that you can team up rotors with Hawk pads (and yet others that include stainless brake lines and fluid too).

http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...D=17&ModelID=7

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

FWIW, I've been running ceramic pads in my car for a long time now, and while they aren't as grabby on initial application of the brakes, they still provide good stopping power when you stand on it, and I've even used them out on the road course numerous times, and they've done a pretty good job of taking the heat and hauling the car down into corners . And yes, they are MUCH cleaner than anything else you can get . I had Hawk HPS and they squealed and dusted like a **** .
Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HPS pads and ATE rotors are awesome. Hardly any brake dust and great stopping power/feel. I would def recommend the combo package from Strano.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

My HPS's don't make a peep... And most don't. HP Plus on the other hand, which many refer to incorrectly as "HPS Plus" are very dirty and can and do squeal fairly regularly.

In fact I just put the same combo that Nostang bought from me on one of my best friend's Formula. He loves it.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hawk HPS are BA, I have a set they a great brake pad, feels like I have sixpistons brakes LOL. Great upgrade for the money.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
My HPS's don't make a peep... And most don't. HP Plus on the other hand, which many refer to incorrectly as "HPS Plus" are very dirty and can and do squeal fairly regularly.
I did in fact have HPS (not HP+) and they did squeal and made a mess of my wheels (and you know I know what I'm talking about, Sam!! ). I chalk it upto a bad set, or a bad experience or something. They certainly didn't have the stopping power I would expect from HP+ either ... so it's not like I mistakenly got the wrong pads. Now if it makes any difference, I ran them with a set of Powerslot rotors, so maybe the slotted rotors helped chew the pads up quicker than had I run them on blank rotors?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Pete--

I was just saying that happens all the time. I wasn't accusing you of being wrong. Lighten up.

FWIW, if you track a set of pads you will get a good bit of dust and can get some squealing from the glazing--as that isn't the intent of HPS's.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use HPS pads on my moms car, girlfriends car, sisters car, my cars. They are great pads. I will stick with them for a long time. My girlfriends car stops better than it did from factory. Breaking in the pads are always fun also.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

HPS are damn quiet, and stop hard, but they do dust. Mine don't make a peep til they hit the indicators, and I've been through 3 sets.

Pads that last longer or are for race, can be noisier. Any pad can squeal if they are glazed and/or not bedded in properly.

I'd like to try the HP+ but I've done the squealing thing and it drives me nucking futs.

I put a set of HPS on a buddy's G35 and he LOVED them. YMMV but I HIGHLY recommend them for a street car.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

HP Pluses dust a lot more.... They have a lot more bite as well, pick your poison!

I use HPS's on my own cars for street driving (and autox too). Not for track use.

Quick Reply: Hawk Difference in Quality