Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just ordered ABS delete kit. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just ordered ABS delete kit. Any advice?

Hey guys, I just ordered my ABS delete kit from SJM Manufacturing. I have been emailing Steve all evening with my questions and he has been firing answers right back. SJM definitely has great customer support. Anybody have any advice on the install as far as things they learned that might not be in the instructions? Thanks in advance.

Tyler
Old 01-19-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bleed really well.... and don't let the resevoir get low while doing it.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:22 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for your feedback and purchase.

Regarding tips don't just bleed the brakes if your brake fluid is more than 2 years old, now is the time to replace the fluid. As fluid ages, the wet boiling point is lowered. There are other consequences as well from old fluid such as corrosion of the brake internals etc. Siphon the fluid from the reservoir then install the kit. Once you're done, as mentioned above, don't let the reservoir suck air in during bleeding.

Bleeding is much easier once ABS is removed as there are no worries about air being trapped inside of the modulator (since everything is gone).

Give me a call or e-mail if you have further questions or comments.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take your time. This is not something that you want to do in a short amount of time. It will look alot better if it is not rushed.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Thanks for your feedback and purchase.

Regarding tips don't just bleed the brakes if your brake fluid is more than 2 years old, now is the time to replace the fluid. As fluid ages, the wet boiling point is lowered. There are other consequences as well from old fluid such as corrosion of the brake internals etc. Siphon the fluid from the reservoir then install the kit. Once you're done, as mentioned above, don't let the reservoir suck air in during bleeding.

Bleeding is much easier once ABS is removed as there are no worries about air being trapped inside of the modulator (since everything is gone).

Give me a call or e-mail if you have further questions or comments.

My brake fluid is only about a year old but I think I will replace it anyway. I should just go with some standard DOT 3 right?
Also I know not to let the resovoir get empty while bleeding but during the install is not a big deal since there is no ABS modulator anymore to trap air right?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:31 PM
FormerVendor

Yea, replace it. It's not expensive, so you may as well start fresh. I'd use Dot 4.

During the install, siphon the fluid completely before you remove the brake lines. If you don't, you'll have fluid constantly dripping down on your engine bay. Brake fluid will eat paint so avoid painted surfaces. If you do get it on, wipe it off immediately.

Quick Reply: Just ordered ABS delete kit. Any advice?