Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

looking for input on suspension tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default looking for input on suspension tuning

I will premise with I know my setup is far from ideal but it's what I have and what I want to optimize.

Setup is as follows.

Eibach ProKit Front Springs and Stock Rear Springs with the KYB AGX shocks (got all 4 for $75 so how could I pass that up)

I am running the stock rear spring to get the *** end back up a bit since I have the weight of the turbo, battery, and stereo gear out back.

Since moving from my worn bilstein shocks to the KYB the car handles just fine, once it locks down into a turn it grips nicely, at least nice enough for me, as I am not a canyon carver.

Regular driving though has suffered thus far in that the car, how do I say, is more extreme now over bumps and such. It's not bouncy but it seems that the travel is more than it used to be. Like you hit a dip and the car really seems to drop it's nose and then it pops right back up and settles in, IE once bounce if you will.

I am looking for input on how to reduce this behavior. I guess to "tweak for comfort" would be another way to put it.

I am sure the mismatched spring rates don't help but it wasn't bad with the bilsteins before they got tired (100,000 miles)

Just seeing if anybody has some general guidelines to follow for tuning. I can certainly set the shocks on each extreme and go from there, but trying to streamline the process if I can get a head start based on peoples experience.

TIA
Old 01-16-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does the car seem to drop when driving over dips in the road, or seem to float?
Old 01-16-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

drop. it's a real quick drop and recover. not floaty at all. opposite of that.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience, I consider the "mismatched" spring rates (Eibach pro-kit and stock rears) superior to the complete Eibach pro-kit in general. As hard as it may seem to some, Eibach rears with both LT1 and LS1 pro-kits are far from what I consider ideal.

The issue here with the ride impact seem to be from the AGX's. One of the problems I had when I had AGX's was the problem described above. The rears were the biggest culprit. Since they're a single-action double-adjustment, when I got rebound at a nice setting, compression was too firm and vice-versa.

If you plan on keeping the AGX's, then all I can suggest is to adjust all that you can with them and find what settings on each end suit you best. Hate to say it, but "there's no such thing as a free lunch with shocks that are available with these cars."
Old 01-28-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

^

Good call. I clicked the rears up one notch and a noticeable improvement was made.

Quick Reply: looking for input on suspension tuning