Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

K-Member Swap help?? best way?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default K-Member Swap help?? best way?

Im about to swap my k-member out in my 98WS6 while i have my trans out being built. What is the best was to do this without dropping the engine? I didnt want to have to unplug everything and drop the engine out. Should i just use a cherry picker to hold it up or possibly a 4x4 pc of wood from one strut tower to the other with 2 chains?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have access to a "cherry picker", I think that would be the safest way to hold up the engine. However, the legs of the cherry picker will probably be in your way as you remove the K-member. I don't know how much an OE K-member weighs, but it's probably heavy enough that you'd want to be able to get a jack in there to support it while you remove the bolts.

Maybe a 4x4, or two, across the engine bay might be the way to go...
Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check around for a tool rental place and see if they have the front wheel drive engine support fixture. It allows you to hold the engine without having anything else under it. You will need a jack to lower the stock K member and rack. Pop your lower control arms out and the rack the pull it down.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

easiest way to do it is to jack up the front of the car as high as u can get it. then support car in the air with a decent set of jack stands. in order to support the engine all ya need to do is jack up on the bellhousing with your jack but make sure u have a block of wood in betweeen the jack and the housing. also it helps to jack it up with the jack facing rearward so u have room to work under the engine.

i've done several this way and seems to be the easiest
Old 01-21-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprayed 99
easiest way to do it is to jack up the front of the car as high as u can get it. then support car in the air with a decent set of jack stands. in order to support the engine all ya need to do is jack up on the bellhousing with your jack but make sure u have a block of wood in betweeen the jack and the housing. also it helps to jack it up with the jack facing rearward so u have room to work under the engine.

i've done several this way and seems to be the easiest

Probably true, but in the OP's case, he has the tranny out as this time, for re-work.....
Old 01-22-2009, 09:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Probably true, but in the OP's case, he has the tranny out as this time, for re-work.....
then instead of putting the jack under the bell housing just put it under the oil pan. i've done it that way too....its plenty strong...just as long as u don't try to pick the car up by it

.....and again use a block of wood under the pan to protect it

Quick Reply: K-Member Swap help?? best way?