Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car Feels Loose at Speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Feels Loose at Speed

I just bough my SS last week. It has the 1.5" lowered Eibach Pro kit with the stock SS shocks. It feels a bit loose at higher speeds. Its like even though the car is lower to the road, when it hits a spot in the road that is anything but perfectly smooth, it feels like it is being pitched around like a ship at sea. Then under hard breaking, it almost feels like one or the other caliper is grabbing sooner or harder than the other and pitches the car left and right real bad in the front. I have heard that the lack of an adjustable torque arm sometimes makes the rear pitch around under hard breaking, but this is mostly coming from the front. My friend's T/A has the Strano springs and sway bars with Koni shocks and his car is much more stable under speed and hard breaking, though he still has the factory torque arm as well. Is something mismatched here in my suspension setup? What would be the next mod I would need to look into to correct this problem?
Old 01-24-2009, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

You need shocks. You have mismatched springs and shocks. Get Sam's Bilstein revalves or Konis.

Shocks, alignment, check all the bushings when that is done - replace as needed.

Enjoy your tight, smooth, new car.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stang56k
I just bough my SS last week. It has the 1.5" lowered Eibach Pro kit with the stock SS shocks. It feels a bit loose at higher speeds. Its like even though the car is lower to the road, when it hits a spot in the road that is anything but perfectly smooth, it feels like it is being pitched around like a ship at sea. Then under hard breaking, it almost feels like one or the other caliper is grabbing sooner or harder than the other and pitches the car left and right real bad in the front. I have heard that the lack of an adjustable torque arm sometimes makes the rear pitch around under hard breaking, but this is mostly coming from the front. My friend's T/A has the Strano springs and sway bars with Koni shocks and his car is much more stable under speed and hard breaking, though he still has the factory torque arm as well. Is something mismatched here in my suspension setup? What would be the next mod I would need to look into to correct this problem?

You pretty much answered your own enquiry right there.

Whilst the Eibach springs aren't all that they're cracked up to be...your problems are mostly due to your shocks. As you've noticed from your friend's T/A, his shock and spring combination is mostly why the T/A performs like it does.

Deal with the shocks and springs first.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stang56k
Made it nice and simple for you