Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

do i cut bump stops isolators???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i cut bump stops isolators???

so my car has squeaking sounds coming from the front shocks wanted to know if this is because i just lowered my car with sportlines or because it rained and shocks need to be lubed up ? can i cut them or remove them ? thanks
Old 01-24-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

I wouldn't cut the bump stops, they prevent a sudden stop of wheel travel which is bad for several reasons. Shocks can't be lubed up, if they're squeaking then trash them but if your shocks are still controlling the front, look intact with no oil leaking or bent components, and the end bushings are still good then it's probably something else that's making the noise. It could be the upper shock mount and bushing (most parts stores call them strut mounts) or a ball joint that has dried up and is siezeing up. If you're not sure consult with someone more familiar with suspension work or a trusted shop before you take any further actions. Something is worn out and needs to be replaced if it's bad. Small rubber squeaks for the first minute or so are normal especially on cold days.

Vernon
Old 01-24-2009, 08:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cut mine off right away but i had 17x11's on the rear at the time ....but there not needed
Old 01-24-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

i cut my bumpstops off in the rear with out reading first... is it going to be bad as.. asking ndfrsd sorry to hijack
Old 01-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
I wouldn't cut the bump stops, they prevent a sudden stop of wheel travel which is bad for several reasons. Shocks can't be lubed up, if they're squeaking then trash them but if your shocks are still controlling the front, look intact with no oil leaking or bent components, and the end bushings are still good then it's probably something else that's making the noise. It could be the upper shock mount and bushing (most parts stores call them strut mounts) or a ball joint that has dried up and is siezeing up. If you're not sure consult with someone more familiar with suspension work or a trusted shop before you take any further actions. Something is worn out and needs to be replaced if it's bad. Small rubber squeaks for the first minute or so are normal especially on cold days.

Vernon
they squeak bad , thanks for the advice
Old 01-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ndfrsd6
i cut mine off right away but i had 17x11's on the rear at the time ....but there not needed
does cuting or removing them cause the car to drop lower? because my car is low enough with cut sprotlines. dont want to be any lower
Old 01-24-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

No they do not make your car lower. They do help from your rear-end from hitting the body of your car violently. Apparently people don't realize this is a bad thing. When metal hits metal, unless you have a friction modifier one is going to give.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

This is one of the many controversial issues. I would never cut off my bumpstops personally. I have 17x11 wheels and retained my stock bumpstops.

With no bumpstops, something else will absorb the full suspension travel. I don't really know which comes first if it's the shock bottoming out, the spring coil binding, or the axle hitting the body. I'm guessing the shock bottoms out first, from what I've read in the past. You can break the shock if it bottoms out. The bumpstop is there to define the end of the suspension travel for the rear axle.

I've read some guys in road racing don't have bumpstops, but they have chosen the appropriate spring to take the job of the removed bumpstops. The sportline spring is NOT the spring you want for removing bumpstops. You can try it if you want and it might be a little more comfortable if the roads aren't bad, but I would hate to be in the car when the shock or anything else bottoms out. Even with the appropriate spring, I'm not even sure if it's a good idea....

If you ask me, I'd toss those sportline springs in the garbage and get some better springs. There's plenty of springs out there that are way better. Sportline springrates are extremely low and typically you'd want a higher springrate the lower you go. Probably not the answer you want to hear, but that's my opinion.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a theory here, but I think I may know what is causing your squeak. You stated the the squeak comes from the front end and it started right after you put on the springs. Lets assume the springs are OK and are not the source of the squeak. I would also bet that the jounce bumpers are not the source of the squeak either. Why? Well jounce bumpers only have relative when they are loaded by the suspension. I've been into mine a few times, have never heard them squeak. More then likely, your source of the squeak is from your suspension bushings and/or ball joints.

When you lowered the car you moved the suspension into a new "working range." Two things occur when that happens. 1. The suspension bushings have more of an internal torsional load in them, and two the ball joints are working in a new range. It may be possible that the squeak you are hearing is now the results of relative movement between one of your suspension bushings and it's bolt. You may have even torn one of the bushings. Whenever one changes ride height and still uses the factory rubber torsion bushings one may want to loosen up the bushings bolts and then re-torque at ride height. The GM shop manual even states that the suspension bushing bolts should only be tightened when the car is sitting at ride height.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

+1 for 99% of what Z28Bryan is saying. I'm not familiar specifically with Sportlines, but his explanation and philisophy is right on. If you remove them (bumpstops) the shocks will bottom and that will trash them in short order, or your axle tube will contact the chassis and one or both of them will bend. Strano put out a major indepth description of the proper layout if you search. He is the pro, so ...
Old 01-27-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

cut sportlines? that has to be a horrible ride quality

Quick Reply: do i cut bump stops isolators???