Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

NONSTOP bottoming

Old 01-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NONSTOP bottoming

I have had my 00 SS for a little over a week now. I'm in the process of moving and the receipts from the previous owner are boxed up somewhere. So I'm trying to figure out exactly how much drop I have now and what to do. I can't even make it over high spots in the road, forget about speed bumps. Hell, I almost got stuck on a speed bump the other day. It's Hotchkis springs all the way around. The old style SLP headers are coming off in favor of Mac mid length and a y-pipe (SLPs are beat 1/2 way in!!). I love how my car looks now and hate how high they are at stock level. I do not want to bang up my exhaust though, and I will be on a speed-bump covered college campus for the next 3 years. So:

1) Trade a member here for his 2002 SS stock springs?
2) Buy the 1/2" spacer for up front and make 1/2" spacers for out back?
3) Trade a different member here for his 1" drop kit?

This is my DD, but it will be getting a beefed rearend and hit the track (and I know drop kits aren't the best for the strip).

What do y'all suggest?

Here's a pic of it sitting next to my wife's stock height TA. Both cars are on 17's. 275/40/17 front of camaro, 315/35/17 rear of camaro. 275/40/17's all the way around on the TA

Old 01-27-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the stock springs off of my car if you want them. And i must say, your car is really damned low. I thought mine was low in the front.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Original owner just told me they were supposed to 1" drop but he measured it out to 1 5/8". Why would Hotchkis advertise 1" and get closer to 2"?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some of the springs "settle" after time, im not sure why this is, be it the quality of the material or the heat treat. But whatever causes it, its no good for our cars.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

So would the 1/2" spacers do the trick or should I try to buy something that will get me a true 1" (or less if possible) drop? Your car looks like a good height.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

That would probably work, the older BMR springs were a true 1" drop, that is of course saying you can still find a set. Im riding on stranos and those are a 1.2" drop. His springs do not settle as he uses a different material than the other manufacturers. But the spacers should work
Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

How much clearance do you have with the LTs? Any scrape problems? I was hoping the mid lengths would give me a little more room.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im having clearance problems with mine because my LTs and ORY suck ***. And its sitting a little low in front because i believe my upper strut mounts have gone bad on me. However, im going to be replacing my entire exhaust very soon with a better tucking brand. So hopefully that helps with ground clearance.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

strano springs
Old 01-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Stranos are backordered until April. I'm not waiting that long.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrededSS
Stranos are backordered until April. I'm not waiting that long.

It is worth the wait and don't forget you may need shocks too depending what's on there and condition

BMR is selling a spring they claim is simmiliar to Stranos and I think hotchkiss advertises there spring give a 1" drop.

I would hold out for the Stranos though. A lighter better alloy, optimum drop height IMO, well thought out spring rates and good QC which provides consistency. His shipping is free to so it really won't cost you any more with that factored in. I have been on almost everthing out there (On my car & some frinds cars) and some not even made any more and I think these are the best with a GC kit second but they can be a PIA and more expensive oo boot. When you can get the Konis & hollow 35/22 bars when he gets them back in and you feel like you are in a totally different car.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

The older model SLP long tube headers for the LS1 were notorious for hanging low, that's probably most of your problem there. If you really want to bring the front up a little go buy 8ea., 1" dia., 1/8" thick washers, with 7/16" holes.

Put 2 washers between each control arm bolt hole, and each shocks lower mount bolt hole . That should lift your car 3/8" to 1/2" higher in the front.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Do you know exactly what you're bottoming out on? SLP headers looked to be an obvious one, as you said they were smashed in on the bottom.

If you still have stock shocks on the Hotchkis springs, I'd probably look into replacing those first. The shocks you have probably have no control over the springs, and it leads to higher impacts on whatever your bottoming out on. Shock choice will depend on your budget, preferences for ride quality, shock build quality, adjustability, and warranty.

Hotchkis springs are fine.. with car setup right you shouldn't bottom out. Though if I were just going to setup a street strip car I would go back to stock springs personally.

I think spacers would not be the right solution and you would just be putting a bandaid on to hide the problem you still have.

If you think the 17x11 tires might be rubbing, check the rear wheel well. If you're rubbing, there should be visual evidence. These typically need a little fender modification to fit. Not sure if the original owner did enough or not...
Old 01-28-2009, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

My rear was slammed too with my BMR springs I had to buy a spacer before I even drove the car out of the driveway! But that might be because I'm running 315/30/18 BFG Drag Radials in the back! I bought an inch spacer from Jegs and took the rear isolator out and put the inch spacer in its place and it raised my rear up about 1/2 inch.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

1) Do not buy spacers. For the effort you're going to have to go through to put in the spacers I'd buy another set of springs.

2) Your car does look low but your wife's car doesn't look stock height either. Like comments made above I'd be willing to be it's the low hanging LTs and ORY that are the source of the problem.

A) I'd get Pro-Kit setup or the BMR setup, Strano springs are the ongoing craze and for good reason but they aren't going to be available for a while. I'm running Edelbrock coilovers up front and BMR rear springs with no isolators and i can't roll an aluminum can under my car, but i still make it over most speed bumps, granted very slow and at extreme angles.

here:

see what I mean...ORY hangs LOW

this is before the bumpers/fenders/hood and ORY were on.

stance shot before coilovers, with BMR fronts it's now lower.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I may go back to stock and see how bad I hate it while waiting on the Stranos to come back in.

The TA probably needs new shocks and springs all the way around. It has a lot of squeaks, and the previous owner said he did not lower the car.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

I think I need more people to come in and support my shock recommendation

Hotckis springs aren't bad springs. I really don't think changing springs will fix your problem. You have a clearance issue with something. You should figure out what that is. In the meantime, better shocks will control the impact into whatever it is you are bottoming out on. Make sure the previous owner didn't remove or cut off the rear axle bumpstops.

Strano springs are great. I have them and love them. I don't believe they will fix your problem though. You most likely have a shock dampening problem and sounds like you might have a clearance issue with something as well

Going to stock springs will lessen the need for more expensive shocks like Konis as a wider range of shocks do a pretty good job dampening them, but again I don't think just swapping them and nothing else will fix anything.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

I agree with z28bryan. Shocks are in order for ride control. Another thing to look for, since you said they are Hotchkis yet have a 1 5/8" drop, is to make sure your upper mounts are good and the lower rubber ring is still there (front and rear). Maybe the previous owner did a hose mod on the rear and/or took out the lower isolator ring in the front?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Here's my thoughts for the day. Since the camaro will see track time, swap back to stock springs in the rear and go with the QA1's offered by another person here in a trade.

Since the Trans Am will not be seeing any track time, put the Stranos and a decent shock on it.

Bryan, my clearance issue is definitely the SLP headers and ORY. I have less clearance under mine than tbird31. But the car is definitely still too low and not good for a street/strip ride.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

See what the drag racers recommend too for shocks. I notice a lot of them recommending strange or AFCO's and not as much QA1's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NONSTOP bottoming