Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New to suspension. What would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to suspension. What would you recommend?

I've searched around but found nothing, so here I am asking you guys. I want to lower my car about 1.5" to 2". I've seen a lot of people getting Eibach lowering springs, but then I've heard other people say that my car will ride horribly. What are good shocks and springs that arn't too expensive? Keep in mind I am mainly doing this for the look.

Also how hard would it be to install it myself? What major tools would I need?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hello

Hello,
Spring wise......I would recommend the Eibach PRO kit you will be able to get your 1.5 drop and they also have kit called the sportline that is a little more aggressive lowering set up and you would have to go with a adjustable panhard bar due to lowering your can more than a 1.5 you would have to recenter the rear end back up. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Thanks Again,
Brad
Old 01-28-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello,
Spring wise......I would recommend the Eibach PRO kit you will be able to get your 1.5 drop and they also have kit called the sportline that is a little more aggressive lowering set up and you would have to go with a adjustable panhard bar due to lowering your can more than a 1.5 you would have to recenter the rear end back up. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Thanks Again,
Brad
No offense UMI but Eibach sucks for these cars

The rears are too soft and on the bumpstops all the time. If you ignore this advise at least get the LT1 prokit as they have a little more rate on the rear. Just about anything else is better with Strano, Hotchkiss. BMR, Voightland, LG (really low though), DMS (if they are still in business) and a couple others out there. Ground Control kits are nice too but pricey and kind of a PIA.

Search this really well and make an informed decision so you won't be dissatisfied. I had a friend who bought his car with sportlines on it about 3 years ago and within a month hated it and was on DMS springs. Before I bought my car I test drove two more and just hated the bounce and the jarring ride of the bumpstops.

You'll really need to search shocks while your at it. The springs will kill them if they are not already toast. Mine were trash when they came off at 62K for the Konis
Old 01-28-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sombitch
no offense umi but eibach sucks for these cars

The rears are too soft and on the bumpstops all the time. If you ignore this advise at least get the lt1 prokit as they have a little more rate on the rear. Just about anything else is better with strano, hotchkiss. Bmr, voightland, lg (really low though), dms (if they are still in business) and a couple others out there. Ground control kits are nice too but pricey and kind of a pia.

Search this really well and make an informed decision so you won't be dissatisfied. I had a friend who bought his car with sportlines on it about 3 years ago and within a month hated it and was on dms springs. Before i bought my car i test drove two more and just hated the bounce and the jarring ride of the bumpstops.

You'll really need to search shocks while your at it. The springs will kill them if they are not already toast. Mine were trash when they came off at 62k for the konis
+1 :d
Old 01-28-2009, 02:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarplayersteven
I've searched around but found nothing, so here I am asking you guys. I want to lower my car about 1.5" to 2". I've seen a lot of people getting Eibach lowering springs, but then I've heard other people say that my car will ride horribly. What are good shocks and springs that arn't too expensive? Keep in mind I am mainly doing this for the look.

The lower you go, the worse the ride... You have less travel. So pick your poison, looks or a better working result.

Eibach Pro-kits aren't great for these cars, Sportlines are worse. Eibach is not alone there are a lot of not so hot springs out there.

You need to prioritized your wants, in order to begin to get a setup that suits your needs. Until you do that you are only gathering random opinions.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best looking stance?

Lots of folks say the Eibach Sportlines. you'll hear lots of folks say that the ride quality BLOWS, and you'll hear a few folks say that their ride quality is GREAT...but hey, you want it to look good, those are for you.

LT1 Prokits will work fine, about .5-1" taller than the Sportlines.

HRR, Hotchkis, DGM(if they're still in business), Strano, all within .50" of each other I would imagine.

LGMotorsports springs give you a bigger drop, close to the Sportlines, but they're a lot stiffer than the Sportlines.

There you go.

Know this, you may end up justifying that your ride handling/quality is better, compared to what you have now, you would probably be right, but that's not saying much. A set of stiff shocks will drastically help with your ride quality...and NO, replacing your factory shocks with another set of DeCarbons or Monroes Sensatracks will only help temporarily, you will soon BLOW those shocks with the above springs as most of them are significantly stiffer than the factory springs AND they sit lower. Buying fair OEM replacements as opposed to higher priced shocks (i.e. Koni's) you ride quality will be better for about 10K-20K miles, and your shocks will be slowly breaking down internally, you probably won't even notice till a couple of quarters later you'll say something like:
**** my back hurts!!!

My .02

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:09 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarplayersteven

Also how hard would it be to install it myself? What major tools would I need?
Like others have stated the eibachs are not a very good choice. We offer a 1.25" drop spring. The ride with our springs is not harsh. Since price is a concern the tokico hp series shock is a decent choice. They aren't terribly expensive and are a good match with our springs. Here are a couple of pics with springs installed. Also your going to need an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the body. If you have any questions give me a call.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
Attached Thumbnails New to suspension. What would you recommend?-bmr_drop.jpg   New to suspension. What would you recommend?-bmr_drop_2.jpg   New to suspension. What would you recommend?-img_3204.gif   New to suspension. What would you recommend?-bmr_springs_installed.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

I have to say that I don't think Tokico's are the best choice in particular. I don't say that to slight Dennis, I sell them as well. Bilstein's aren't a lot more money, but a lot better quality.

That said, I don't feel that either are great for lowering springs of the rates up and around Strano and BMR type springs, which includes a lot of them. Tokico's and to a lesser extent the Bilstein's are best suited to stock, or lower rate lowering springs (which themselves are a compromise).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!