Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help for suspension set-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help for suspension set-up

I am looking to get a new set up for my car and would like a little help. Currently everything is stock and my 02 Z28 has 120k on it so it is about time. I want a more aggressive stance to my car but dont want it ghetto low. I have around $600 give or take a little bit to spend and have looked everywhere and anywhere and heard a thousand different "this is the best set-up bar none" quotes for 2 life times. I know Koni 4/3s would be best but would they lower the car or would I have to get springs as well? Anyway I would love to hear from Sam Strano if possible, I would call them but cant during work hours and they are closed once I get off. Thanks in advance guys.

Monroe
Old 02-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Here is a look of the stance as it sits right now ... as you can see i hate the 4x4 look and want it fixed

Old 02-02-2009, 01:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, shocks will not lower your car, springs will. The koni shocks work well with lowering springs. If you chose to go with a lowering spring your also going to need an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the body. Our springs lower your car 1 1/4" and still retain a very good ride quality. We have the springs in stock and ready to ship. If you have any questions about any of our products please give me a call.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
Attached Thumbnails Need help for suspension set-up-sp001-thumb.jpg   Need help for suspension set-up-phr002.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Launching!

so with that package would i then need new shocks or would my stock ones need to go ... i have read whenever you lower the car you need new shocks ... if so which ones would be great to keep the price low but the durability and driveability good?
Old 02-02-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Texass683
so with that package would i then need new shocks or would my stock ones need to go ... i have read whenever you lower the car you need new shocks ... if so which ones would be great to keep the price low but the durability and driveability good?
Stock shocks do not hold up well with lowering springs. Ditch the de carbons.
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Texass683
Some people do keep the stock shocks but we don't recommend it. The only shocks that we offer at this time are the Tokico HP Series. They are reasonably priced and work well with our springs. There are other brands that work well we just don't carry them at this time.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Hello, shocks will not lower your car, springs will. The koni shocks work well with lowering springs. If you chose to go with a lowering spring your also going to need an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the body. Our springs lower your car 1 1/4" and still retain a very good ride quality. We have the springs in stock and ready to ship. If you have any questions about any of our products please give me a call.

Acutally, that's not entirely true. Koni's have a spring perch that has two possible positions. Using the lower one will indeed lower the car by about 5/8-3/4". And that setup in front is commonly used with the isolator mod in the rear that drops cars on average about 1/2".

Now these things aren't as much as lowering springs, but does take a nice chunk of the big tall ride height out of the car, and since we use Koni's to do it, leaves you with the most killer shocks for the car, which to be quite frank is by far the most messed up part of the OEM suspension.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Launching!

so Sam with something like the Koni 4/3 set-up how much would that run me? And is it possible to add springs to the set-up to get the desired stance later on?
Old 02-02-2009, 02:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

$854 shipped on 4/3's. And you can add springs to them anytime you want. The range of damping adjustment is huge and the Koni's are suitable from stock springs all the way to super stiff (much stiffer than I run) springs.

No, not $600... And yes, you could go with cheaper options. I could sell you a set of springs and shocks for around that price--but the result won't be nearly as good and certainly not long lasting.

Koni's are not cheap, but the shocks are the lynch-pin to the car working well. Poor shocks leave you with a unstable, unsatisfactory foundation on which to build. Most every complaint about the driving dynamics of these cars stems back to improper or just plain poor shock damping.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so for a good set up the koni's are reccomended? i have been told mostly qa1 would be the best way to go with the coil over in rear and shocks/springs up front. but if koni is better please let me know on this.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have the koni DA's and love them. on lowering springs, it depends on how low u wanna go. im running hotchkis 1" drop springs with the isolator taken out in the rear and thinking of doing the perch mod as well
Old 02-04-2009, 11:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You are talking about two very different things here.

First, I don't really like coil-overs in the rear as it was never intended that the spring (and the weight of the car) be held up by the shock mounts. Further, many go goo-goo over the term coil-over without considering what, if anything, they are gaining from them. What are you looking to gain from them?

Koni's are not adjustable coil-overs like a QA1 can be. But you are talking about two very, very, VERY different dampers with the Koni being far superior for control and durability.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also echo Sam's recommendation. Start with the Koni's, mount the front perch on the lower setting and then implement the heater hose mod in the rear. That will lower the car into an "acceptable range" and will not sacrifice ride. If anything it will improve ride and drastically improve handling.

Considering the miles on your car, you'll probably want to consider installing new suspension bushings and ball joints while your in there. Energy Suspension makes some really nice bushings but use the Moog replacement bushings for the rear camber bushing. I believe Sam stocks both of these as well. He probably has ball joints too. The guy has everything!

Then when you have saved up more money in the future, order up a set of Strano springs. They are probably the best street springs on the market for these cars.

Quick Reply: Need help for suspension set-up