Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

right rear lower then left???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default right rear lower then left???

So for all you suspension guru's out there. I have a 1999 Z28 with the Bilsteine factory suspension. When I was looking at my car the other day I noticed that the right rear of the car was prob an inch lower then the left rear. I went over to that side and pushed down on the car to see if the shock was shot and it rebounded right back up. So leads to my problem of me not knowing what to look for or what could be the problem. Any Ideas?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the spare tire out...the extra weight makes it sag, very common problem
Old 02-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Teching In

but a whole inch? that sounds like a bit much to me but i will have to try thanks!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive heard these cars sit lower on the right to make up for the difference when the driver is in the driver seat. ive also removed weight from the right side and mine sits pretty level now
Old 02-04-2009, 02:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nemss1
ive heard these cars sit lower on the right to make up for the difference when the driver is in the driver seat. ive also removed weight from the right side and mine sits pretty level now
he is correct...

they make the driver side a little higher so when you are sitting in the car it is even..
Old 02-04-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

With my old suspension (shitty suspension), it was SLAMMED on the passenger side rear and I had my spare tire/jack removed.

I think it is because when our cars "torque" they seem to plant most of the weight on the passenger rear. Which puts a great amount of stress on that spring/shock. JMO though, I'm not a suspension guru or anything...I could just tell that the more I raised hell, the more the passenger side rear would sag.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you look at the lower spring seat on the passenger side it's angled back, but on the drivers side it's level.
IMO I think it's designed that way to keep the spring from coming off the lower spring seat when you've got lead foot!
This is purely a guess, but I could be right.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

My right rear was also lower. In my experience it was the spare tire and jack weighing it down.

Once I removed it I had a perfect even ride height with my Strano springs.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Launching!

lemons12 Quote:
Originally Posted by nemss1

he is correct...

they make the driver side a little higher so when you are sitting in the car it is even..
I'm not buying this... if that was the case, all f-bodies (and all gm products) would sit higher on the drivers side rear than passengers side. No other car that I know of and not all f-bodies have this condition. Also, the spare tire and jack would not lower the rear by one inch.

The Helms manual gives specs for the stock ride height and does not mention anything about one corner being different.

That said, I'm not sure what is causing the problem.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:37 AM
FormerVendor

Lightbulb Angle of vehicle

Hello,
My buddy has a 2000 and We were just talking about this the other morning! What we came up with is the motor and trans are mounted offset in the car! If you look at the drivers side floor compared to the passengers I shows you how much the off centered it is! And another reason is maybe because spring wear due to torque throughout the years.....Just figured I would throw that out there!
Thanks Again,
Brad
Old 02-05-2009, 07:50 AM
12 Second Club

Here is something to think about kids who think GM did this on purpose! I just put a rubber isolator in on the LEFT side! thats right LEFT side, cause thats where mine did all the sagging.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:09 AM
9 Second Club

i always thought it was from the driver being in the car, as well as the car being empty on gas. when i fill up, the car seems to sit pretty level.

this is on stock springs.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello,
My buddy has a 2000 and We were just talking about this the other morning! What we came up with is the motor and trans are mounted offset in the car! If you look at the drivers side floor compared to the passengers I shows you how much the off centered it is! And another reason is maybe because spring wear due to torque throughout the years.....Just figured I would throw that out there!
Thanks Again,
Brad
This is the case with pickup trucks (dodges and chevy's) that I have run across when working with rollcages. Most trucks (and cars I'm told) are offset to the passenger side about 3/4" to compensate for driver only. The driver's weight can make a noticeable difference in suspension settings.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Teching In

well thank you all for the input guy prob once warm weather rolls around again Im going to investigate this matter more to see if there is anything wrong.

I'm not buying this... if that was the case, all f-bodies (and all gm products) would sit higher on the drivers side rear than passengers side. No other car that I know of and not all f-bodies have this condition. Also, the spare tire and jack would not lower the rear by one inch.

The Helms manual gives specs for the stock ride height and does not mention anything about one corner being different.

That said, I'm not sure what is causing the problem.
I also agree with this due to my cousin having the exact same car and suspension and not having this issue. But don't worry ill keep you all posted with the outcome whether im right or wrong.

thanks again!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

FWIW, I have the bilstien and have noticed the same thing. Without saying any names I will say I heard from a reputable source that it is due to the offset for the drivers weight...?

Not real sure if I buy it either. I'm hoping the issue is resolved with the koni/strano setup I've got going on in a few weeks.