Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

bolt on doouble diamond sfc's

Old 02-04-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bolt on sfc's & fuel leak?

Anyone ever hear of the driver's side maybe nicking the fuel lines that look like they run very near to where it bolts up? If it was to get nicked, how could you repair that line? )

Been wondering why my gas mileage hasnt been the best, and s I have had the car on the lift and working on the tranny etc for awhile now.. I noticed that one of the bolts on the drivers side sfc's has a leak.. yea its turning rusty ncolor and has an occassional fluid drip. Cant really tell what it is...
I mean i think its prolly fuel, but kinda scared to light it to see )

Anything else ? its ben garaged so cant be rain etc etc

Last edited by Dip Stick; 02-05-2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: better title
Old 02-05-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Regular

Well the only fluids that run along the sub-frames are fuel and brake fluid. The bolt on your connector isn't leaking, a line above it is. They aren't hidden so look at them closely and you'll find it. There are repair kits but I suggest you KISS and replace the whole line with a new one from the dealer. You'll need some tools to release the locking connectors, cheap plastic ones are available that will work for the occasional user. Make an effort to reroute the line away from the bolts if they rubbed the hole in the first place.

Vernon
Old 02-05-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Appreciate it. Ill have to check it and see. For some reason the fuel lines and fuel filters scare me LOL
Old 02-05-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Just keep the area ventilated and don't produce sparks or flames and you'll be fine it's not nitromite. Unless it drips into your ear, that hurts like a mother.

Vernon
Old 02-05-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The fuel system is pressurized, with the pump in the tank PUSHING the fuel to the engine compartment. If you had a damaged fuel supply line, I believe you'd have quite a leak, and be WELL AWARE of it. (there'd be gas ALL OVER, as well as a STRONG odor of fuel)
Old 02-05-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Im guessing the brake lines are pressurized too... I do have some pretty strong odors, and smells rather potent.. havent had it spark up yet and kinda chicken **** to try it...

Any other ideas where or what the fluid might be.. looks rather clear to reddish in tint.. but that could be coming from the rust around that bolt. One bolt has the drip and looks rusty, the other bolt right beside it looks good.

Figure I would go and get this all on my mind after I get the car finished haha. Im just real nervous about fooling with those lines. May take it by a shop and have them look at it.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Veteran

I would hope that you'd recognize the STRONG odor of gas. If there's any question about it being a fuel line, put your key in the ignition, turn it to the FIRST detent, listen for the fuel pump, but DO NOT turn the key all the way to "start". If it's a fuel line, you'll know in a hurry.

If it's a brake line, and you're leaking brake fluid, you should have noticed a brake pedal that goes to the floor, and a car that doesn't stop too well....
Old 02-06-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Guys I've repaired many fuel line leaks that dripped under 50 PSI. They usually dry before they leave a spot. By the time most people realize there's a leak it's been there a while. He was just under his car and found it sooner. Not any fuel line will spew like crazy, with corrosion they can start slow. Now if your were to pull on the line it would probably crack wide open.

Vernon
Old 02-06-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
Guys I've repaired many fuel line leaks that dripped under 50 PSI. They usually dry before they leave a spot. By the time most people realize there's a leak it's been there a while. He was just under his car and found it sooner. Not any fuel line will spew like crazy, with corrosion they can start slow. Now if your were to pull on the line it would probably crack wide open.

Vernon
Very true, but you seem to be talking about steel lines. Most fuel injected GM cars have plastic lines. They went to that a number of years ago, when they went to fuel injection with the pump in the tank. Steel lines can rust out, develop pin holes, and spew fuel, creating fires AND lawsuits.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

im gonna take it to a local shop that my body shop recommends. See if they see it leaking where I think it is coming from and then see if they mention the braided lines and crimps and so on.. shrugs a buddy was telling me how they can repair a fuel line without having to replace the entire line.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Very true, but you seem to be talking about steel lines. Most fuel injected GM cars have plastic lines. They went to that a number of years ago, when they went to fuel injection with the pump in the tank. Steel lines can rust out, develop pin holes, and spew fuel, creating fires AND lawsuits.

Most fuel/brake lines on any GM car made from the 80's till now use stainless steel lines. Hey, crazy concept, they don't rust. The "plastic" (nylon) lines you're talking about really are only used at connected points to provide some flex. Out of the tank, to the filter and to the motor.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:46 AM
TECH Resident

yea I definitely have steel lines tempted to buy the crush fittings and braided line and ask the shop to maybe reroute the lines so it avoids those bolts.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by iansane

Most fuel/brake lines on any GM car made from the 80's till now use stainless steel lines. Hey, crazy concept, they don't rust. The "plastic" (nylon) lines you're talking about really are only used at connected points to provide some flex. Out of the tank, to the filter and to the motor.
That's right, and on my LT-1 powered Camaro, the "plastic" part resumes under the driver's side footwell, RIGHT WHERE my subframe connectors (Kenny Brown Racing Double Diamond) attach to the chassis.

The OP said THAT is where he is having problems........
Old 02-08-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

yeah I didnt have a mirror handy to check up in there to see.. I just assumed they were still steel lines...

Ill have the shop check monday and get back to the thread about it
Old 02-09-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

well the first shop was full of win.. I swear their shop logo said Team Phail.

The secnd shop at least the guys kind seemed like they knew what they were doing but didnt have much time. They are pretty sure it isnt the fuel line. We think it may be brake fluid, perhaps from an overfilled master cylinder resevoir or perhaps the black rubbeer thing wasnt sealed correct;y with the lid.

Going to take it back tomorrowq to have them take another look.. may take off some heat shields and the subframes to make sure.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Im thinking maybe it might be excess from the master cylinder clutch resevoir... The guys definitely dont think its fuel leakage..

I ended up topping off my clutch fluid *brake fluid* and hoping that ill see it drip from the bolt this afternoon.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

If that's the case, you'll want to take care of the leak before it strips all the paint off the underside of the car...

Search this Thread