Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Got my Strano springs on today (before/after pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Thumbs up Got my Strano springs on today (before/after pics)

Got my Strano springs on today, but didn't get to really take a nice long ride. I did get to take a nice "little" drive and so far, I am happy. The car's just low enough, yet retains a nice ride and definitely tightened up the handling a bit. I had an older set of 1LE springs (off LT1 car so front was high)

Unfortunately, I am not in a situation to take advantage of the Koni shock sale from Sam just yet, as work hours have been cut back to 32 for the last 2 months...If things pick up, I'll surely be contacting Sam Strano for some Konis. For now, I have my new Bilstein HD's on the car, and also for now, ride and handling are fine IMHO. I will upgrade to Konis when funds allow.

I can't wait until weather warms up so I can swap on my 17x9.5/17x11 TT2's that I recently acquired. I'll be sure to get some better pics posted at that time.

Here is height measurements from ground to fenderlip:

Position ~ Before ~ ~ After

LF --------28-5/8" ----26-3/4"
RF --------28.00 " ----26-1/4"
LR --------28-1/4" ----26-7/8"
RR --------27-1/2" ----26-1/4"

Here's a few pics....

BEFORE

and here's some taken after a short drive and after measurements were taken:

AFTER

My driveway is on a slight incline.
I'll get level ground pics asap...
Old 02-09-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car looks good, lowering a car really makes a big difference in appearance. I need to get my front springs on when it gets warmer out. The Koni`s will really make a difference. The Strano sway bars will really help with the handling if thats what your shooting for. I have surprised a few cars on the back roads.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks really good. I cant wait to get mine on and see how it looks with 18s
Old 02-09-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You needed that lowering pretty bad. Looks good.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Smile

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
You needed that lowering pretty bad.
No doubt, LOL.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

One thing I did notice in my abbreviated cruise yesterday was that even though the car appears to be at the same height as when I had an Eibach LT1 Pro Kit in the car, it hasn't bottomed out on the bump stops like it ALWAYS did with that setup. It seems much firmer without being uncomfortable...something that was/is VERY important to me since I have back problems.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

So you still have the stock shocks that came with the car and you like the ride? I am wanting to get my car lowered but can only afford lowering springs as well right now for the moment......is it THAT BAD to drive on the stock shocks with lowering springs or could I "live with it"?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

do you plan on having the car aligned?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by clg82
So you still have the stock shocks that came with the car and you like the ride? I am wanting to get my car lowered but can only afford lowering springs as well right now for the moment......is it THAT BAD to drive on the stock shocks with lowering springs or could I "live with it"?
My car came with DeCarbons. I have almost brand new Bilstein HD's on the car, which seem to be fine for now. As Sam says and every Koni owner will agree, his springs work best with the Konis. Sam said I'd probably be OK for the time being since my Bilsteins are near new, but they just are not optimum. I can definitely live with what I have for the time being. Some people say that even with the stock DeCarbons the ride is fine, but I can only comment on what I have, which are Bilstein HD's.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
do you plan on having the car aligned?
Absolutely, although it tracks straight as an arrow as is. No pulling, no noticeable excessive camber or anything, I hope to get it aligned next weekend.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

Question

***UPDATE***

Twice so far, my car has bottomed out in the rear on a fairly rough road. Both times since filling the gas tank. (pics above were at 1/4 tank of gas)

I also think my car isn't as high in the rear as most Strano spring'd cars are, or look like they are.

Can I leave the factory isolators on top of the springs (as they are now), and also do the heater hose mod to raise the rear up slightly?
Old 02-14-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually to me it appears that your car sits lower in the rear then most other strano cars i've seen. (just my opinion) what do you think? After you installed these, did they give you the same drop as the LT1 prokit or were they a bit higher.

Car looks great man
Old 02-14-2009, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Striker
Actually to me it appears that your car sits lower in the rear then most other strano cars i've seen. (just my opinion) what do you think? After you installed these, did they give you the same drop as the LT1 prokit or were they a bit higher.

Car looks great man
I may have worded it wrong above, but I agree...my car looks LOWER in the rear than all the other Strano equipped cars I have seen. Most Strano cars seem to have a slight "rake" to them, but mine definitely doesn't. Especially now with a lot more gas in the tank. I'm assuming it's hitting the bump stop in the right rear...since right rear is where it sounds like it bangs when I hit a good sized dip.

The LT1 ProKit I had before seemed to be a little lower in the rear (all the time) than these, and slightly higher in the front. Ride is MUCH better with the Stranos though, and handling feels better as well.

Here was my car on the LT1 ProKit:

Old 02-14-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I wonder why you car sits that low back there? Regardless, I like the way it sits, I wish that they all sat like your car does. I like the LT1s on your car as well.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It looks pretty good the way it sets. I think if you added a hose on the rear springs it would help a little to raise the rear. The springs may also take a little bit to settle.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

If i could guess, I would say that his car already has the rear hose mode done, hence the reason it sits like this in the rear with the strano springs.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can I leave the factory isolators on top of the springs (as they are now), and also do the heater hose mod to raise the rear up slightly? [/QUOTE]

From this post it sounds like he has the stock rubber isolators. I think if he added hose on the rear springs it would help some, but for some reason it doesn`t do anything , it`s no big deal because it`s easy to do and cheap.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Looks good Bob. I ran out and measured mine real quick.

LF-----25-5/8
RF-----26
LR-----26-3/4
RR-----26-3/4

I'm going to re-measure when I can stop the car from a straight drive instead of turning into my parking pad. I think that turning the car right before parking may throw the numbers off a tad by compressing one side of the cars suspension more. I know your parking situation is similar but opposite as compared to mine (I make a hard right before parking and you make a left). I also need to check my tire pressures. You also might want to check that your spring isolators are "clocked" correctly. Just a thought.

Larry
Old 02-16-2009, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Giddswat
Can I leave the factory isolators on top of the springs (as they are now), and also do the heater hose mod to raise the rear up slightly?

From this post it sounds like he has the stock rubber isolators. I think if he added hose on the rear springs it would help some, but for some reason it doesn`t do anything , it`s no big deal because it`s easy to do and cheap.
Correct. Stock rear isolators are in place, and springs are placed in them same as the factory springs would be. I always use some electrical tape to hold the factory rubber isolators onto the springs while they are being installed.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
Looks good Bob. I ran out and measured mine real quick.

LF-----25-5/8
RF-----26
LR-----26-3/4
RR-----26-3/4
Thanks Larry. It looks like your car's height is very similar on the LR and RF.

I assume mine is higher on the LF because my RR is lower ???

Is your spare tire in place?

For those reading....
My car has always sat lower in the RIGHT REAR and higher in the LEFT FRONT.
This has happened with stock springs & stock DeCarbons...
This has happened with LT1 Eibach Pro-Kit and Bilstein HD's...
This has happened with 1LE springs and Bilstein HD's...
and now with Strano springs and Bilstein HD's.
This is also the 2nd complete rear that has been in the car, and there was no change in ride height between the two.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rel3rd
***UPDATE***

Twice so far, my car has bottomed out in the rear on a fairly rough road. Both times since filling the gas tank. (pics above were at 1/4 tank of gas)

I also think my car isn't as high in the rear as most Strano spring'd cars are, or look like they are.

You can do that, but it won't make much difference since the hose isn't very thick.

FWIW, and this is VERY important to know..... ALL springs allow you to "bottom out" as in hit the bumpstops. In fact you can push the car to the stops by hand. You are on them a lot more than you think all the time. You feel it when you hit them abruptly, and shocks, being dampers, are what damp things like that. Spring rate can only take you so far. I'm glad to hear it's much better than the Eibach's, and I'm not shocked (no pun intended), but again you are running shocks that really aren't up to the job over the long run. And being you have a SS, I'd strongly recommend a set of normal Z28 bumpstops *without* the SS's aluminum spacers.... That will give you a more progressive stop when you do get on them.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Got my Strano springs on today (before/after pics)