Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Koni vs QA1 which do you prefer over the other and why?
Koni
72.22%
QA1
19.44%
Other
8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

QA1 vs. Koni

Old 02-15-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QA1 vs. Koni

Which do you prefer over the other? How has it benefit you ? DA vs SA ? I want to hear you opinion, which one would you get and why?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Search, this has been covered quite a few times. Its an apples to oranges comparison, Konis are a handling shock and QA1s are drag shocks.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...s-vs-koni.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ml#post8344345
Old 02-15-2009, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like stated before. Konis are an excellent shock for handling capabilities. Qa1's which I know little about to my knowledge are drag shocks.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:54 AM
TECH Resident

Nothing really to add except for on the subject of SA vs. DA. If you are referring to the Konis, the Single adjustable is really all a street car will ever need. No real use for compression adjustment.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

QA1=drag racing
Koni=handling
Old 02-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Launching!

like everyone else has said, drag vs handling
Old 02-16-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with everyone else, OP what are your goals?
If you want a drag shock get strange, cheaper and tougher than QA1 and made in the USA!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

well the ability to adjust ride height has got me interested even though Im not sold on it.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

I bought the Koni SA's and I am very happy with them.

As for everybody saying that QA1 are drag shocks. I saw a few weeks ago on UMI's website that they have street shocks. I dont know how good they are though.

http://www.umiperformance.com/produc...category_id=90
Old 02-16-2009, 05:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Comparing Koni's and QA1's is like comparing any other two things that are not really all that similar. A nice T-bone compared to Beef Jerky would be a similar comparison. Both are beef, you eat both.... not the same thing.

FWIW, dampers are about control. To maximize weight transfer you want very little damping (hence the reason drag cars unload the nose and then tend to bounce and take forever to settle down). Not exactly ideal things for anyone who isn't hell bent on only launching (and has enough grip for it to matter).

I readily admit I'm biased. Maybe it's because I know just how much shocks matter to how well or poorly our cars drive, and I'm not all that tolerant of fast cars that aren't very stable or predictable. Maybe it's because stereotypes get in the way. After all we've had more than few cars leave quite well on Koni's and some ever better than on QA1's. You can over weight transfer a car and cause it to bog. Maybe it's because even among drag shocks (which Koni makes) really good ones don't try to be dual-use. Koni footnotes their SPA1 drag shocks to say they are not suitable for highway use and personal injurty could result. Why? Because they are about going straight, and that's much less what quality damping on a street car, let alone one that's driven hard is about.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with what your saying about the drag shocks, but the strange set are a good compromise, The nose end comes up nice when set to zero, but set them to three or even 5 and they actually handle pretty good for what they are, maybe a little bit better than stock, very safe to drive around town, but then again I drive around without a front sway bar too.

By the way Ive had both sams koni 4/4 setup and now the strange, I loved the Koni's for corner carving, but I love the strange for straight line. Op just has to pic what he wants to do.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
I agree with everyone else, OP what are your goals?
If you want a drag shock get strange, cheaper and tougher than QA1 and made in the USA!

Whos OP?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^original poster
Old 02-17-2009, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Taken4granted
Whos OP?
Original Poster.

I have the Koni's. My car see's the track very seldom, so most of the time i'm just crusing and carving corners but they have launched me pretty well too.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I perfer my Konis because with them, my car doesn't feel like a blobby piece of **** anymore on turns or cruising down the road.

I will say though it doesnt help more for a soft ride, I hit a bump and it rattles the **** out of me.

Either way i am extremely happy at the ride quality on good roads and the turning on it makes my car feel like a sports car.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had both on a couple different f-cars. QA1's are great for hooking and drag racing. I could easily dead hook the car on Dr's on the street with QA1's.

That was my old car though.. My current car I got sick of the worn stock front shocks with Comp eng rears was was ruinning. its a great drag setup allowing me to dead hook on Dr's at the track with ease running low 1.6 60's and even a couple high 1.5's on a stock internal car with a big stall all day long. Lately since I can't get to the track like used to I have Koni SA's and love them for driving. the car is planted on the corners and feels a lot better but sucks all *** compared to the drag oriented setup for straight line launches. So really it depends on what you are looking for. If you go to the drag strip and want the car car hook hard and run low 60's go with the drag setup.. if you drive the car and want it to feel good around corners get the koni's.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:40 AM
TECH Resident

mostly what everybody else says, but fwiw on the DA v. SA front; as i understand it, compression rate (what DAs can adjust and SAs cannot) is a function mostly of unsprung weight. tt2's not withstanding, most fbodies built for handling are in the same weight class and dont really require a double adjustable shock.

although i would like to know exactly what the koni SA's fixed compression setting's range of damping is...like will adding a solid front sway bar and 17" tt2 throw it all to hell
Old 02-18-2009, 11:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Ok, this is turning into another one of those threads that is starting to wander aimlessly.

First lets examine why "Drag shocks" launch well. They very little rebound damping which is how you get your weight transfer. You can over transfer causing a bog and I've had customers 60' quicker on Koni's than on QA1's and Afco's on certain cars (cars that didn't lack power, as in over 500 WHP).

Let's examine what shocks are meant to do on the road. Control the rate of movement. You need to pick your poison on what your wants are. If you expect the car to drive well, you don't want drag shocks. If you want it to transfer weight as fast as possible you don't want control shocks. Ever notice how many ragged out Nova's are running their stock 35 year old shocks???? That's because old shocks are worn out and allow that quick weight transfer.

Koni's are valved so that the full soft setting is what they feel is the minimum for control. I find that way too soft for my admittedly more handling bias. There isn't a mountain of rebound damping there so if you turn them down the nose will rise quickly much like some stock shocks.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Under other KYB's
Old 03-04-2009, 09:15 PM
9 Second Club

I have Koni DAs in my 3900# fbody and new stock springs
2 weeks ago went 1.44-45 60' I had the front rebound full soft and compression 3/4 stiff...front end rises and stays up...coming down slowly.
Rear had the compression 1/3 from full soft to keep the rear from hitting the tires too hard and bouncing off the rim....rebound was full soft. QA1s didnt have enuff dampening for my car to work like they should and the Konis work better for MY car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: QA1 vs. Koni