Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Global west torqe arm is smashed against floor

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global west torqe arm is smashed against floor

I just got done installing my S60 and put my Global west torqe arm on and the top of the arm is actually up against the rear corner of the floor pan pretty tight and was wondering if this is normal for the global west arm?I cant adjust the pan hard bar either because my rims and tires are dead center!!Im wondering if this is because my S60 center section is wider then the stock one? Anybody?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Lower car??

DAM IT!!!It just hit me that ive lower the car 1.2 '' with the strano setup and bet thats what the hell the problem is! Maybe?Anybody ??
Old 02-16-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the bracket have 2 sets of holes? (4)
I think the traclink is meant for stock rears.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Global

Originally Posted by shoemike
No,just 2 for the mounting plate and 2 for the arm.I may have to sell it now LOL

Last edited by barnat; 02-16-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Global

Originally Posted by shoemike
I just checked out UMI's and I see what your talking about with the 4 plate holes! It looks like you could move the mounting plate in if the car were lowered Thus moving the arm in closer to the driveshaft and away from the floor!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Global West

Well ,I decided and listed it in the sales section if anybodys intrested in it !as long as your not lowered and running a S60 you'll be fine! I actuially loved this setup too it was quite as hell and ties the cars floor into the arm instead of at one point like all the other do!
Old 02-17-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you try contacting Global West and discussing the situation?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Torque Arm

Originally Posted by barnat
I just checked out UMI's and I see what your talking about with the 4 plate holes! It looks like you could move the mounting plate in if the car were lowered Thus moving the arm in closer to the driveshaft and away from the floor!
Hello
Thanks for the interest in UMI Performance, Our Torque Arms do have Two different positions to choose from to allow you to move the arm away from the tunnel it just depends on what rear end you have in the vehicle. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be glad to help.
Thanks Again
Brad
Old 02-17-2009, 08:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Did you try contacting Global West and discussing the situation?
Like the original poster mentioned (Ed) the issues are from the large S60 housing and lowered vehicle. The S60 has such a larger housing it pushes the torque arm to the drivers side quite a bit. Aftermarket torque arms are larger then the factory torque arm as well. Now when you lower the car the tunnel area comes even closer to the rear end/torque arm causing this issue.

This issue is just part of modifying vehicles and adding different aftermarket components from different manufactures. Now I have never seen the Global West set-up installed so it could be smashed pretty hard in there but regardless its going to hit. A lot of times we recommend using a large hammer to "clareance" some room

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 PM
10 Second Club

I agree with UMIs assesment of the situation, it must be due to the size of the S60. I had a GW arm on an M6 LT1 Formula w/ Strange 12 bolt and Sportline springs (very low) and never had any clearance issues. Good luck with the sale it's an awesome arm but heavy as hell.

Larry
Old 02-17-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
A lot of times we recommend using a large hammer to "clareance" some room
Just FYI, I had to have my floorboard "massaged" when I installed my Moser 12-bolt with my UMI trans-mount adjustable torque arm. The car was lowered (Hotchkis). This is VERY common, and there are several threads about it in the gears and axles section.

OP: Before you go selling it, you might look into this further.

-Mike
Old 02-18-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like the original poster mentioned (Ed) the issues are from the large S60 housing and lowered vehicle. The S60 has such a larger housing it pushes the torque arm to the drivers side quite a bit. Aftermarket torque arms are larger then the factory torque arm as well. Now when you lower the car the tunnel area comes even closer to the rear end/torque arm causing this issue.

This issue is just part of modifying vehicles and adding different aftermarket components from different manufactures. Now I have never seen the Global West set-up installed so it could be smashed pretty hard in there but regardless its going to hit. A lot of times we recommend using a large hammer to "clareance" some room

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Ryan, I suggested the OP contact GlobalWest an you seemed to dismiss the suggestion. I understand what you're saying. However, I see many people here immediately jump to a conclusion without thoroughly thinking through the problem. I suggested the OP contact Global West, as they're not some "hole in the wall outfit", and quite possibly have dealt with the problem before, as well as devised a solution. Better to step back a do a little research, before tossing a good part, when a simple solution MIGHT exist.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible that the S60 housing takes up so much room, that the TrackLink just won't work. I'm just saying that if it were me, I'd slow down a little, and do some homework....

Old 02-18-2009, 03:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

I'm just saying that if it were me, I'd slow down a little, and do some homework....
Good thinking

I just didn't want to see Global West get all the blame. I have been there before when people don't do home work and assume we screwed up and built there torque arm wrong.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 02-21-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Global West

Good thinking

I just didn't want to see Global West get all the blame. I have been there before when people don't do home work and assume we screwed up and built there torque arm wrong.

Thank you!
Ryan
NO GUYS,, I wasnt or trying to blame Global West because this set up was working great with the stock rear and changed once i put in the S60 I called Global and they agreed its the S60 thats pushing the bar to far over so Im getting a UMI here and allready put this one up for sale in the sales sect and on E Bay if anyones intrested