Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how difficult to install aftermarket A-Arm's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how difficult to install aftermarket A-Arm's?

I want to keep stock K-Member for now, but replace the upper and lower a-amrs with UMI's.

Is this something I can realistically do myself in my garage here on jackstands?
Old 02-22-2009, 12:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Its not the easiest job but can be done in your garage with common tools. If you have some mechanical ability you will be fine. One nice this is we ship all adjustable items preset to factory lengths.. so there won't be any guessing on how to get them set and where at. We give you a good starting point.

If you are interested PM me a e-mail address and I will send over our installation instructions. You can also give Jerry in our tech support department a call and he will go over it.

Let me know. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 02-22-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

its very straight foward.... i did my k member and everything else in my driveway while on jack stands.
for lower a arms
1. get car up and take off wheels
2. undo sway bar
3. undo spindle from ball joint and gently hammer it out (may take some time just dont hammer too hard as you can damage the joint)
4. undo shock froma arm
5. remove a arm from k member

now the upper
1. undo upper ball joint and support spindle/brake assembly dont let it hang
2. undo upper strut mounts in the engine bay
3. remove entire assembly together
4. seperate the upper a arm from the stamped steel upper mount
5. start installing!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh one other thing make sure to get an alignment and the thing that manufacturers leave out is there is no provision on the lower a arms to use the correct tool to do your alignment. you may have to bring your car to a shop that does "special" alignments as i tried bringing my car just to my local town fair tire and the alignment guy was stumped cause he had never delt with aftermarket suspension like this. they are trained to use certain vehicle specific tools to adjust camber/caster. to ths day my alignment isnt dead on and is killing my front tires..i gotta find a chassis shop or someplace that knows custom alignments...
Old 02-23-2009, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
If you are interested PM me a e-mail address and I will send over our installation instructions. You can also give Jerry in our tech support department a call and he will go over it.
PM Sent, thanks, please send a copy of your instructions.

Originally Posted by C Murda
oh one other thing make sure to get an alignment and the thing that manufacturers leave out is there is no provision on the lower a arms to use the correct tool to do your alignment. you may have to bring your car to a shop that does "special" alignments as i tried bringing my car just to my local town fair tire and the alignment guy was stumped cause he had never delt with aftermarket suspension like this. they are trained to use certain vehicle specific tools to adjust camber/caster. to ths day my alignment isnt dead on and is killing my front tires..i gotta find a chassis shop or someplace that knows custom alignments...
What??? Tell me this isnt true! How does UMI, BMR and the others expect us to get our front ends aligned correctly?

Can anyone else shed some light about this?
Thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 06:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
PM Sent, thanks, please send a copy of your instructions.

What??? Tell me this isnt true! How does UMI, BMR and the others expect us to get our front ends aligned correctly?

Can anyone else shed some light about this?
Thanks
If the alignment shop has any brains at all they can do it. There is no hole in the A-Arms for them to put there tool. This means they have to be creative and use a pry bar or something similar to move the A-arm for the alignment. We use a local alignment shop that works on trucks all day and general repairs... they had no problem at all with out us even telling them. We also have used a local Midas that again had no issues at all. I can see how a place would be intimidated. Just ask them before you take it in.. but you will be fine.

I will send those instructions in a little. Thanks!

Ryan
Old 02-23-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its simple, but the steering can get in way of the bolts for the lower a-arms so you may have to loosen that up to pull out of the way!

I wouldnt worry about uppers! They weigh more and a ton of 8-9-10 sec guys still use stock upper a-arms. Im going to do UMI lowers only.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
I want to keep stock K-Member for now, but replace the upper and lower a-amrs with UMI's.

Is this something I can realistically do myself in my garage here on jackstands?

Depending on how old your car is and how often you drive it in the rain, be prepared for that caster bolt to be very well rusted to the sleve of the stock bushing.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chevy053
Depending on how old your car is and how often you drive it in the rain, be prepared for that caster bolt to be very well rusted to the sleve of the stock bushing.
Better believe that. Both mine were seized, they had to be forced out with an air chisel lol.

Quick Reply: how difficult to install aftermarket A-Arm's?