Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what did i do wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what did i do wrong?

so i went ahead and bought the special on rotors and hp hawk pads from ws6 store 2months ago...i finally got off my lazy *** and installed them...the problem is that the car doesnt brake good. when i back out of the garage for example and floor the brakes, the car still backs up about a foot. and when in at a stop light i have to be flooring the brakes so the car doesnt go forward. i have a cam with no stall so i know i have to floor the brakes when stopped to prevent it from going forward. but whats up with it not braking good....im pretty sure i followed the instructions to the word. ...what do you all think is wrong? do i have to bleed the breaks?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If someone has ONLY changed out rotors and pads, bleeding doesnt have to be done. Did you disconnect any brake lines from the calipers? If youve disconnected brake lines, then bleeding is a must. Does the car pull to one side when braking?
Old 02-25-2009, 11:07 AM

no i didnt disconnect any break lines. i had the calipers hanging with a hanger. and when i stop the car breaks straight,doesnt pull to side. i was very careful and made sure i didnt get any grease on rotors and pads.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Did you have to break in the pads?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

That will happen. All you need to do is pump the brakes until you get a firm pedal. When you pump them its taking the extra clearance out thats between the pad and the rotor. Now with the HPS pads you will need to burnish them (break them in). There are instructions on the box on how to do this. But yeah slowly pump the brakes until you get a firm pedal, then break them in and you will be good to go.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Silly question: Did you remember to put the cap back on your master cylinder reservoir?

Don't ask me how I know to ask this.

-Mike
Old 02-25-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Silly question: Did you remember to put the cap back on your master cylinder reservoir?

Don't ask me how I know to ask this.

-Mike
I can only imagine something terrible happened.