Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

manual steering w/out using a manual rack

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual steering w/out using a manual rack

I was wondering if anyone was running with out power steering using the factory steering rack instead of using a actual manual rack and steering.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am at the moment til i get my kmember and manual rack. is a lil harder to turn. no biggy
Old 02-27-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

yes. you need to either cut the metal line and loop the two powersteering lines w/ a few hose clamps. Or do what i did and order the correct adapter fittings from summit. it is one 16mm to -6an, and one 18mm to -6 an, and the i used two -6 female fittings to -6 twist lock aeromotive black hose.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I driven cars with looped factory racks and they are not that bad to my surprise. The cars did have skinnies on the front and I am sure that helps
Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 AM
FormerVendor

You can tie the lines together, special fittings will not be needed it's not high pressure anymore. The lines are connected solely so you can transfer fluid from one side of the rack to the other to keep seals lubricated. You'll introduce air into your system which can't be bled out as it originally was intended.

A better approach if you care about your rack and damage to the internals would be to leave a reservoir (you can use the OEM reservoir) filled running both lines directly to it so that the rack will maintain fluid of which air can be bled out.

Steering will be stiff, very stiff if you're not using skinny wheels/tires. I'd suggest BMR's manual rack and manual steering setup. They've got a very nice plug and play setup I'd recommend highly. It's going to overall be better for both situations, and you'll lose weight too!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

Well I'm glad i posted this up. I was just under the impression of cutting the lines crimping them off or i was just gonna put some plugs in the holes. So in order to do it "properly" i guess i need to some how tie the two lines together?? Is that what you guys are saying?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:12 PM
FormerVendor

You can use a brass barb from home depot and a few hose clamps...that is sufficient. If you are concerned about the seals failing prematurely, connect both lines to a reservoir as I discussed.

The best way is to choose the BMR manual rack and pinto style k-member though...
Old 02-27-2009, 01:26 PM
8 Second Club

I just took the fittings out and welded them shut. Then you have to purge all the fluid out of it, and I mean all of it. As stated before it probably is not the best thing for the seals and stuff, but I am just doing it temporarily, until I get the Madman manual rack kit.
I have 17x9's up front, it is hard to turn with slow speed maneuvers, but doable for now.

Quick Reply: manual steering w/out using a manual rack