Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes locking uP please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Brakes locking uP please help!

Hey guys I have a friend that has a 2001 Camaro Z28. Well his brakes wore out and went all the way down to the metal. So he bought new brakes and installed them. I know, I know.... he should of turned the rotors.... but the didn't. Well after installing them the driver side caliper was locking up and not releasing the brakes. Well he purchased new rotors, and new calipers for the front and back of the car also new brake pads. Ceramics. So he still has the same problem, but now it is the passenger side that looks like it's locking up. He drove a block and the rotors turned blue where they got so hot. The car won't move from where it's locked up. If he drives the car it releases a little bit but as soon as he hits the brakes they lock up again. Please help us with any information as to whats happening. Thanks
Old 02-28-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check his slider pins to make sure they are not seized. If they come out, make sure their lubed.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmmm.... Thanks. We'll check on that right now.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me get this right - he's replaced the calipers, pads and rotors? If so, then I doubt the problem is in any of the new parts.

I'd check for problems with the brake lines. The, check the ABS module for problems. After that, it's the master cylinder.

Quick Reply: Brakes locking uP please help!