Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR Swaybar Owners-Like them/Hate them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMR Swaybar Owners-Like them/Hate them?

I was on their site and saw these front and rear sways. Just wondering what you owners thought of them that had them? How big of a difference can I expect to notice? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Its all honestly a personal opinion.......same goes with all after market parts. I have both F+R BMR sways on my car, and i love em.. def. tightened up my steering and reduced body roll that is for sure. Noticed that the second i drove it down the road off the lift.....
Old 03-03-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Responses to this topic probably won't get you much useful information. Most people who changed from stock to these bars are going to tell you they love them. Most people will probably say they stiffened up the car pretty well. This would be exactly what you wanted to hear.

If you just daily drive and mess around on the street then this is fine, but if you really want a good balance then a bigger front bar than the 32mm to match the 21mm rear is probably more ideal. A long time ago when I was picking my bars, I wanted a 35mm front and a 21mm rear so I went with a front ST bar (wicked heavy) and a BMR rear bar. Both balanced the car out really well. I probably would have gone with a Strano bar pair if I knew he existed back then, but the bars work well for what they do.

If your really squeezing your car to be hardcore competitive for a driving application then you'd probably want the lightest bar you could get at the desired stiffness. From what I gather, the Strano rear bar is fairly light. I have no weight comparison info to say how BMR's compares, but I've heard Sam mention his was lighter. The rear swaybar is unsprung weight too, so keep that in mind. I had no problems with fitment issues on the BMR bar.

So yeah the BMR bars are good, but you could find a better balanced set. If you ever plan on doing any autox or road racing motorsports then I'd advise looking into a Strano set. For normal daily driving I'm sure a lot of people won't care and go with the cheapest set that will stiffen up their ride, regardless of how the balance changes.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Undertow74
Its all honestly a personal opinion.......same goes with all after market parts. I have both F+R BMR sways on my car, and i love em.. def. tightened up my steering and reduced body roll that is for sure. Noticed that the second i drove it down the road off the lift.....

Thanks for the support of our products. The sway bars will make a significant difference and are well worth the investment. If you have any questions please give me a call.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use the rear one on my car (no front sway bar at all). It's a nice, sturdy piece. I don't know how much the sway bar itself helped, as I installed a few parts all at once, but I can tell you my car never slides around on a hard launch, even on the street. I'm sure the sway bar is helping that somehow
Old 03-03-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

I run BMR on my car

1.35 60ft with stock shocks and springs on radials
Old 03-03-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Ill be running BMR swaybar's once money persist.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:42 PM
8 Second Club

I went from no rear to a bmr it was day and night difference. I have a drag car so the only corner i turn is to get on the return road.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

perhaps i should have started a thread asking which sway bars would work the best for my car.

The car is a weekend/nice day summer car only. I've never auto crossed, or road raced with it, and I doubt that I will in the future either. Does the type of process the bar is designed highly affects the handling. Im asking this because I see hollow bars and solid bars. What's the better of the two designs?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker
perhaps i should have started a thread asking which sway bars would work the best for my car.

The car is a weekend/nice day summer car only. I've never auto crossed, or road raced with it, and I doubt that I will in the future either. Does the type of process the bar is designed highly affects the handling. Im asking this because I see hollow bars and solid bars. What's the better of the two designs?
So are you looking for more of a handling setup then? What exactly are you trying to change about the car by doing this?
You can also search for what people have experienced to be the best combination of bars for handling.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
So are you looking for more of a handling setup then? What exactly are you trying to change about the car by doing this?
You can also search for what people have experienced to be the best combination of bars for handling.
Yes, Id like to improve the handling of the car a lil more. I know that it can improve, and I feel that something should be done about it.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker
Yes, Id like to improve the handling of the car a lil more. I know that it can improve, and I feel that something should be done about it.
There are quite a few parts that will improve your handling, but the big three are shocks, swaybars and springs. Shocks being the biggest by a LONG shot solely because the stock decarbons are so bad. I did my suspension one at a time and the shocks made a bigger improvement than both springs and swaybars combined.
I would highly suggest getting [good] shocks first because that's fixing the key problems with these car's handling( balance, floaty feel/loose unsettling feeling at speed, snap oversteer at the limit, sloppy body movements, scary to push on bumpy roads etc.) while also dramatically improving ride quality (no more choppy, crashing ride). And if this means you have to save up some more money then I think its totally worth it. For what its worth I would not own another Fbody without at least Konis on it.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I understand that konis are the way to go, by far. I read a lot on them and everyone says the factory shocks are the weak link. I was just thinking of going with the swaybars first due to less cost, and save the konis for later.

Like I mentioned earlier, the car is just a weekend summer car that I enjoy driving. I noticed myself the handling is sloppy and would like to know which swaybars are good. Thats all.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Eibach, a little hefty but deff tightend up the roll, which is what u need
Attached Thumbnails BMR Swaybar Owners-Like them/Hate them?-123.jpg  
Old 03-04-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

just went on the spohn website too. their bars seem to be pretty stout, and at a good price too.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to read a bit and educate yourself on how a swaybar works.

A solid 32mm bar is hardly "stout". It is barely stiffer than the hollow 32mm that some cars came with from the factory.

I'll give you a hint to get you started: The outer diameter matters a lot with regard to torsional stiffness, but the inner diameter (if any exists) does not.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fair enough. I see that the eibachs you have, as well as the hotchkis kits both have a 35mm front bar....