Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Replacing Inner Tie Rods and Ends

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Inner Tie Rods and Ends

Ive been searching for a tutorial on replacing inner and outer tie rods, please link me some or just write it up if you got the time. I priced the install locally and they want a $100. Screw that i can do it myself and just have them align it afterward. thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have inner tie rods , you have a rackinpinion, you only have outer tie rods, that's if your changing on a f-body , Count the threads and install the new tie rods to the same count the have it lined
Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have inner tie rods.... Unless you plan on using magic to transmit the forces from the rack to the wheels.

They are easy to replace. You need to rent a tool from the parts store to change the inners. It looks like a long tube with a special opening on the end.

Replace both at the same time and use the best quality materials you can.

I rate this job to be pretty easy as long as you have a jack stands and basic hand tools.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Well i never seen a rack with inner tie rods just outer ! A car with a steering box that has Pittman arm and center link and idler arm will have inner & outer tie rods (2) on each side ,With a rack unit you have a long rod coming out of the rack on each side of it with a tie rod on the end of it ,that's what i call a outer. Witch in real life there's no inner or outer tie rod on a rack just a tie rod. I call it a outer because i work on a lot of old style cars with a steering box . The tool you need is called a tuning fork or croses foot. I just use a hammer and smack once on the side of the tie rod arm or spindle arm and it drop right out.. or you can turn the nut to the top of the tie rod and hit it with a hammer and it will drip out but if you do the you cant reuse it because it might damage the threads but if your changing them out then it don't really matter
Old 03-04-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
Well i never seen a rack with inner tie rods just outer ! A car with a steering box that has Pittman arm and center link and idler arm will have inner & outer tie rods (2) on each side ,With a rack unit you have a long rod coming out of the rack on each side of it with a tie rod on the end of it ,that's what i call a outer. Witch in real life there's no inner or outer tie rod on a rack just a tie rod. I call it a outer because i work on a lot of old style cars with a steering box . The tool you need is called a tuning fork or croses foot. I just use a hammer and smack once on the side of the tie rod arm or spindle arm and it drop right out.. or you can turn the nut to the top of the tie rod and hit it with a hammer and it will drip out but if you do the you cant reuse it because it might damage the threads but if your changing them out then it don't really matter
On an R&P setup, the "pieces" that connect to the spindles are the "tie rod ends". The "long rods that come out of the rack" that you talk about, are the INNER TIE RODS.

Don't believe me?? Look it up in a MOOG catalog!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Well i never seen a rack with inner tie rods just outer !
You have now.

Moog EV260
Spicer / Raybestos 4011620B
AC Delco 45A2077
GM 88910652

You may also search this pdf using the old part number 21011026.

If you have access to the GM F-body parts PDF that has been around forever, you can also search it for part number 21011026.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

So i just need one special tool, so its pretty self-explanatory then. Cool, thanks fellas
Old 03-04-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Any reason why you don't replace the whole rack? I faced this problem a few months ago and the whole rack cost $120 which was about what 2 inner tie rods would cost. Its probably easier to replace the whole thing as well as its a pretty easy swap. Then you don't need special tools and you have a whole new rack. Just my opinion though.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I call it a pickle fork because it makes me hungry and I like pickles.

Originally Posted by PIZDETS
So i just need one special tool, so its pretty self-explanatory then. Cool, thanks fellas
You would need the tie rod tool and the pickle fork (ball joint separator).

Or just change the whole rack as previously mentioned...
Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your rack & pinion has enough wear on it to warrant replacement of the inner tie rods, chances are its time for a completely new rack. I pulled the rack out of my Grand Prix at 172,000 miles and the inner tie rods and end seals were fine, the spool valve was leaking out of the bottom which was why I had to replace it.

The entire rack probably is probably only about twice as much as what it costs to buy 2 Moog inner tie rods, and its not hard to install at all on and F-body. And either way you're going to need an alignment, so I'd just get a complete rack.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does the rack come with new inner tie rods? I am about to replace mine but my rack was replaced a year ago through Chevy.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
Does the rack come with new inner tie rods? I am about to replace mine but my rack was replaced a year ago through Chevy.
Yep, it comes with inners but not the outers. So if your outers are still in good condition you can just reuse those.

Quick Reply: Replacing Inner Tie Rods and Ends